An Insider Tells What Happened in the Courtroom -- Hugs, Tears, Shock

Father Gerald Robinson leaves the courtroom in handcuffs after being found guilty by the jury.
Father Gerald Robinson leaves the courtroom in handcuffs after being found guilty by the jury.

TOLEDO -- News 11's on-the-scene reporter, Jonathan Walsh, shares with you what he observed in the courtroom Thursday before, during, and after the jury found Father Gerald Robinson's conviction for the murder of Sister Margaret Ann Pahl. Here is his first-person account:

As I walked into the courtroom minutes before the verdict was announced, I noticed a packed room filled with attorneys, judges, supporters for both sides, and random people not affiliated with the case -- but who wanted to be a part of the outcome.

The verdict was read in Lucas County Common Pleas Court just after 11:30 on Thursday morning. The jury had deliberated about six hours before convicting Robinson of murder.  Judge Thomas Osowik immediately sentenced Robinson, 68, to the mandatory term of 15 years to life in prison.

Sister Margaret Ann Pahl, 71, was found in the sacristy of the former Mercy Hospital chapel on the day before Easter in 1980.  She was lying on her back with an altar cloth covering part of her body. She had been stabbed approximately 30 times in her chest and neck in a pattern that investigators said resembled a cross. Police believe the weapon used in the stabbing was a dagger-shaped letter opener that belonged to Father Robinson, who was then serving as the hospital's chaplain.

The priest did not visibly react to the verdict. Robinson's friends and family gasped when it was read. A courtroom deputy handcuffed Robinson behind his back and led him away.

None of the jurors looked at Robinson, who wore his priest's collar throughout the trial, when they walked in the courtroom. Some intentionally looked away.

"We always believed that we were prosecuting the right individual," said Assistant Lucas County Prosecutor Dean Mandros in a news conference after the conviction. "We always believed that the letter opener was the murder weapon. We always believed that he lied to the police."

"Obviously, I'm relieved," the victim's niece, Marilyn Duvall, 54, of Nashville, Ind., said after she watched the verdict on television from home. "I was just wondering which way it was going to go. You just never know."

"Let us hope that the conclusion of the trial will bring some measure of healing for all those affected by the case as well as for our local church," Leonard Blair, bishop of the Toledo Diocese, said in a statement. "The diocese has remained steadfast in the work of the Church and its ministries throughout this trial, and will continue to do so."

In closing arguments, Lucas County Prosecutor Dean Mandros said Father Robinson was so angry with Sister Margaret Ann, he tried to anoint her with her own blood in a "bastardized" version of the last rites.

The defense countered that DNA evidence doesn't link Father Robinson to the crime. Sister Margaret Ann's underwear and fingernails had traces of DNA that was likely from a man, but not from Robinson, said defense attorney John Thebes. "They (prosecutors) can't make their case beyond a reasonable doubt forensically, and they know it," Thebes said.

SNAP, the Survivor's Network of those Abused by Priests, issued a statement shortly after the verdict. "Ohio is a safer state today because of this verdict. We hope it brings long over due comfort to the loved ones of Sister Margaret Ann and the Toledo community."

Updated by AEB