Election Day Dinners under $10.00: Presidential Favorite Foods
One of President Barack Obama's favorite foods is pizza from Italian Fiesta Pizzeria. Here's a Presidential Pizza that your family will enjoy.
Obama Pizza Party: BBQ Chicken Pizza - ($7.29)
1/4 cup Meijer barbecue sauce – $0.33
3/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts - NuVal™ Score 39 - $1.49
1 cup red bell pepper, seeded and large dice - NuVal™ Score 96 - $1.00
2 tbsp. Meijer olive oil, divided - NuVal™ Score 11 – on hand
1 pre-cooked 12-inch pizza crust or focaccia - $2.39
1 cup Kraft 2% Milk shredded Monterey Jack cheese - NuVal™ Score 27 - $1.33
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced - NuVal™ Score 93 - $0.25
1-2 Tbsp. Meijer sliced ripe olives - $0.50
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place pizza crust on baking sheet, brush lightly with small amount of olive oil. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven, leaving oven on.
2. Meanwhile, cut chicken breasts into 1/2-inch wide strips; sprinkle lightly with salt and black pepper to taste. In a medium skillet heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; add chicken; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Shortcut: Use shredded breast meat from a Meijer rotisserie chicken
3. Meanwhile spread barbecue sauce on heated crust. Top with onions, olives, red peppers, chicken, and cheese. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Nutrition Information (per serving) Calories 282, Total Fat 14g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 463mg, Carbohydrates 18g, Fiber 1g, Protein 21g.
Recipe adapted from Meijermealbox.com, try-foods international
Serve with: Dole Italian blend salad ($1.99) and low fat dressing (on hand).
Total Meal Cost: $9.28
Ann Romney's Meatloaf Cakes - ($6.43)
(From Mrs. Romney's appearance on the Rachael Ray show; Presidential candidate Mitt Romney's favorite dinner)
Serves: 6 (makes 6 individual meatloaf cakes)
For the meatloaf cakes:
1 1/2 pounds Certified Angus beef ground round - NuVal™ Score 30 - $4.75
3/4 cup Meijer breadcrumbs (4 slices bread, crumbled into small pieces) – whole wheat NuVal™ Score 25 - $0.40
1 large egg - NuVal™ Score 39 - $0.14
1/4 cup chopped onion - NuVal™ Score 93 - $0.25
1/4 cup lemon juice - NuVal™ Score 99 - $0.60
2 teaspoons seasoned salt – on hand
For the sauce:
1/4 cup ketchup – $0.29
1/4 cup brown sugar – on hand
1 teaspoon McCormick dry mustard – on hand
1/4 teaspoon McCormick ground cloves – on hand
1/4 teaspoon McCormick ground allspice – on hand
- For the meatloaf cakes: Heat oven to 350ºF. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, crumbled bread or breadcrumbs, egg, onion, lemon juice and seasoned salt. Mix lightly but thoroughly and shape into six small loaves. Space evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes; meanwhile, prepare the sauce.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, cloves and allspice. When the meatloaf cakes have baked for 15 minutes, brush each loaf with sauce and return to the oven. Continue to bake until the meatloaf cakes read 165ºF in the center when tested with an instant-read thermometer, about 20 more minutes. If desired, serve with scalloped potatoes and steamed vegetables. Pass additional sauce separately
Serve with: Meijer refrigerated Mashed Potatoes - $1.99 and Meijer frozen cut green beans - $1.25
Total Meal Cost: $9.67
And, just in case you missed it earlier this year, Barack has been known to brag about his chili, and Good Morning America ran the Obama family recipe.
Obama Family Chili Recipe
1 large onion, chopped - NuVal™ Score 93
1 green pepper, chopped - - NuVal™ Score 96
Several cloves of garlic, chopped - NuVal™ Score 91
1 tablespoon Meijer olive oil - - NuVal™ Score 11
1 pound ground turkey or lean ground beef - - NuVal™ Score 30
1/4 teaspoon McCormick ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon McCormick ground oregano
1/4 teaspoon McCormick ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon McCormick ground basil
1 tablespoon McCormick chili powder
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Several tomatoes, depending on size, chopped - NuVal™ Score 96
1 can (15 oz.) reduced sodium red kidney beans - NuVal™ Score 82
2 cups brown rice, cooked - NuVal™ Score 82
- Saute onions, green pepper and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add ground meat and brown.
- Combine spices together into a mixture, then add to ground meat.
- Add red wine vinegar.Top of FormBottom of Form
- Add tomatoes and let simmer, until tomatoes cook down.
- Add kidney beans and cook for a few more minutes.
- If desired, serve over white or brown rice. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, onions and light sour cream.