Last week, the Ohio High School Athletic Association announced that it was indefinitely postponing its winter tournaments due to concerns regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19).
Providing an update on Thursday, OHSAA Executive Director Jerry Snodgrass acknowledged that the "window is closing" for the postponed tournaments, including boys and girls basketball, as well as wrestling. Snodgrass said that the cancellation of those tournaments is also on the table and that a decision will likely come in the next 24-48 hours.
Snodgrass estimated that the OHSAA would lose an estimated $1.4 million-$1.5 million in revenue should the tournaments be canceled.
"I cannot put kids at risk for this," Snodgrass said.
As for the state's spring sports, Snodgrass said that the OHSAA has a tentative schedule set, but that the schedule is dependent on students returning to school. Ohio K-12 schools are currently on a three-week break that began this past Monday, although Ohio Governor Mike DeWine has acknowledged that break will likely be extended and that students may not return to school by the end of the school year.
A no-contact period between coaches and players has currently been implemented.
Snodgrass also said on Thursday that the OHSAA is not currently discussing making eligibility changes to students based on the potential of missed winter sport seasons. The OHSAA is reviewing the effect a potentially missed spring season could have on eligibility.
As of Wednesday, 88 positive coronavirus cases have been found in Ohio, 26 of which have required hospitalization.