SANDUSKY, Ohio — A 36-year-old woman is dead after the car she was driving was hit by an oncoming train Friday morning in Sandusky.
According to the Ohio State Highway Patrol, Erica L. Alley approached the triple-track railroad crossing on Campbell Street towards North Depot Street at roughly 8 a.m. when she attempted to maneuver her Kia sedan around the downed crossing gates. As she did so, the vehicle was struck by the locomotive headed westbound on the railroad tracks.
Alley died from her injuries at the scene. No members of the train crew were hurt in the collision.
The incident remains under investigation.
- 3News Investigates: Only 3% of sexual assaults reported by Cedar Point workers have ended with an arrest
- Woman convicted of fatally shooting Cleveland officer Shane Bartek found guilty of multiple robberies
- Artemis I rocket launch: How to watch the historic NASA mission live Monday
- Pedestrian fatally struck on ramp to I-71 northbound from I-480 east near Cleveland Hopkins International Airport
- Early morning crash in Canton leaves 1 dead and 1 in critical condition
- What's next after Mar-a-Lago search affidavit release? Case Western Reserve University law professor explains
- WATCH: Pick-up truck strikes state trooper vehicle on I-475, flees scene