ANN ARBOR, Mich. — A 14-year-old boy in Monroe County has died after being taken off of life support. 

In September, Bobby Reyes suffered an asthma attack, which sent him into cardiac arrest.  He was declared brain dead almost a month ago. Reyes' family fought against Mott's Children's Hospital in court in an effort to keep him on life support so they could find another hospital to treat him.

However on Tuesday, Washtenaw County Judge David Swartz said he had no power to intervene, although he understands the family's "heartbreak." 

 The hospital said that continued life support would have violated professional standards.

Michigan Medicine issued this statement:

 "Our health care team at Michigan Medicine extends our deepest condolences to the family of Bobby Reyes in this heartbreaking situation.

A second brain death examination was conducted late this morning, and Bobby was pronounced dead. Mechanical ventilation was discontinued after the family gathered in the patient’s room. 

The brain death examination showed Bobby had no detectable brain or brain stem function. Further testing -- including an electrical encephalogram (EEG) and a cerebral blood flow study -- detected no electrical activity and no blood flow to Bobby’s brain.

By law in Michigan, an individual is dead who has sustained either irreversible cessation of circulatory and respiratory functions or irreversible cessation of all function of the entire brain, including the brain stem.

Continuing medical interventions was inappropriate after Bobby had suffered brain death and violates the professional integrity of Michigan Medicine’s clinicians.

His caregivers at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital have diligently worked with the family to help arrange to transfer Bobby to another facility, contacting more than 20 different facilities. Every facility contacted declined to take on Bobby’s care.

Our team at Michigan Medicine sympathizes with the Reyes family and is committed to providing support in this difficult time."

RELATED: Family, friends request prayers for their teen, whom a Michigan hospital wants to take off life support

RELATED: Brain dead woman gives birth 117 days later

Bobby's mother shared this post on the "Save Bobby" Facebook page:

The University of Michigan just killed my son. Our lawyer Bill had a papers at the courthouse in his hand that could have saved him but they rushed this whole thing so fast. Bobby is gone and I feel...

On Monday, night, Bobby's friends and family prayed for a miracle. 

"Everybody's very touched by this story. I think would be the best way to describe it. They're very worried for Bobby, worried for the family," friend Rebecca McGlynn said. "If this was our child, we would hope that somebody would do the same for us, and we want them to know we are behind them 100%."