ARCHBOLD, Ohio — Everyone made it out safely as fire crews battle a house fire in Archbold early Thursday morning.
The fire is happening at the home on County Road 21 in German Township near US 20A and County Road H.
Officials say there were four adult family members inside the home, including two adults who are handicapped, but everyone was able to exit the house safely.
Fire crews say the extreme cold is making it difficult to fight the fire.
"The weather has hindered us because of the cold and as far as icy roads and things like that. We haven't had any lines freeze up yet, but it has hindered some of our operations," said Archbold Fire Chief Dave Davis.
The location of the home also proved challenging for firefighters.
"Because of the proximity and the location of the residence out here, we had to tank water in. So we had to call multiple tankers in from different jurisdictions to help us out with water," Chief Davis said.
The call for the fire came in around 11:30 p.m.Wednesday as a chimney fire.
Chief Davis said there should be some parts of the house that are salvageable, but some that won't.
"Part of the structure of the garage are, there should be things that are salvageable, but the majority of the main living section, there probably isn't going to be a lot to be a lot salvaged out of that," the chief said.
The Red Cross is assisting the family.
"That's the big thing: the residents got out," said Chief Davis. "Everything they had, they can replace, so they at least got out of the structure."
The Archbold Fish Pantry is collecting donations for the family. The organization says the family did not have renter's insurance, and everything they have was lost in the fire.
Anyone interested in making a financial donation can drop them off to any Farmers and Merchants State Bank, marked for the Gilbert family, or mail them to the Archbold Fish Pantry, PO Box 5 Archbold OH, 43502.
The Archbold Fish Pantry will also be holding bake sales at the Archbold Knight of Columbus Fish Fry on Feb. 21 and Feb. 28. All proceeds from the bake sale will go to the family.