COLUMBUS, Ohio — Gov. Mike DeWine and Ohio Department of Health Director Dr. Amy Acton held a news conference in Columbus with their daily report on the state's response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Ohio Department of Health reports that there are 8,414 confirmed and probable cases of coronavirus in the state. 389 people have died and another 2,331 have been hospitalized.
DeWine announced on Thursday that the state is planning to begin the process of reopening on May 1. Any business reopening will have to provide a safe environment for employees and customers. While Ohio has had a stay-at-home order in place since March 23, DeWine says the state has learned a lot from the essential businesses that have remained open.
The state will also continue to monitor its hospital admissions, as well as available personal protective equipment and could adjust its plans accordingly. Additionally, DeWine said the state continue taking precautions and protecting the most vulnerable Ohioans- seniors and those with pre-existing and chronic health conditions.
On Wednesday, DeWine announced he has approved the release of 105 inmates, who had previously been set for release over the course of the next 90 days. Each inmate will be tested to determine if they have coronavirus prior to their release.
Also from Wednesday, DeWine says that he has asked each industry for their plans to ensure the safety of their customers and employees once non-essential businesses are reopened.
Click here for our coronavirus section.