INDIANAPOLIS — The Fourth of July weekend in Indianapolis was a violent one, with IMPD responding to more than a dozen runs for shots fired since Friday.
The violence started Friday around 4:45 p.m. outside an east side business at 38th Street and Post Road. Two women were shot at that location. A 22-year-old pregnant woman died. The condition on the second victim is not known at this time.
Then, a 34-year-old man was shot and killed Friday around 7:15 p.m. at 30th Street and Sherman Drive.
Saturday morning around 10:30 a.m., a 22-year-old man was found shot in a field near an apartment complex on Fox Harbor Drive. Medics pronounced him dead at the scene. A bicycle was found next to his body, according to an IMPD spokesperson.
Then, around 5 p.m. Saturday, a 65-year-old man was found shot and killed inside an apartment in the 10000 block of Pineneedle Court, near 42nd Street and Mitthoeffer Road. On Sunday, police arrested Daniel “Cory” Rhodes, 38, for his alleged role in this homicide.
On Sunday around 5:45 p.m., Lawrence police were called to an apartment complex in the 4200 block of Bridle Lane, near 42nd Street and Franklin Road. When officers arrived, they found a 20-year-old man suffering from at least one gunshot wound. He later died at the hospital.
IMPD responded to a double shooting Sunday night, shortly after the downtown fireworks ended. The incident happened around 11 p.m. in a parking lot near Vue Luxury Apartments in the 700 block of East Georgia Street, which is east of South College Avenue. Police said a car pulled up to the gathering, and a person got out of the car and shot a man and a woman. Police said the suspect got back in the vehicle and fled before officers arrived. IMPD said the man was in critical condition and later died. He was identified by the coroner's office as 35-year-old Dominick Rice. The woman is in stable condition.
IMPD also responded to shots being fired at the following locations over the weekend:
- 1800 North Berwick Avenue on July 2 around 7 p.m.: Person shot and was reportedly in serious condition.
- Castleton Square Mall on July 2 shortly after 7 p.m.: A man, whose injuries did not appear to be life-threatening, was shot inside the mall.
- 1500 North Colorado Avenue on July 4 around 1 a.m.: Person shot and was reportedly in good condition.
- 1500 North Ritter Avenue on July 4 around 1:45 a.m.: Person walked in to Community Hospital East with a gunshot wound but appeared to be in good condition. An IMPD spokesperson later confirmed the incident happened at North Rural Street and Massachusetts Avenue.
- 115 North Pennsylvania Street on July 4 around 3:45 a.m.: Person shot and was reportedly in serious condition.
- 2000 West 86th Street on July 4 around 5 p.m.: Two people walked in to St. Vincent Hospital with injuries consistent with gunshot wounds. Police later learned the incident happened at the Lafayette Square Mall. One of the victims is in critical condition and the other is in critical but stable condition. A suspect is also in custody at this time.
- 300 East Walnut Street on July 5 around 12:30 a.m.: Two women in their mid 20s were reportedly shot on the canal near the USS Indianapolis memorial at Senate & Walnut streets. Both were reportedly transported to the hospital in good condition. The suspect has been arrested.
- 7000 Moon Court on July 5 around 2:30 a.m.: Person shot and was reportedly in good condition.
What other people are reading:
- 3 dead in Clinton County crash
- 3 found dead as search resumes after South Florida condo demolition, death toll rises to 27
- Marion County clerk's nephew dies in motorcycle crash on Indy's northeast side
- Vatican says Pope Francis is alert and well, a day after surgery
- 'I'm just devastated right now': After crash kills 6, family begs for help to bring them home