TOLEDO, Ohio — The Art Loop has become a staple for Toledoans for years. But, due to coronavirus, the regular trot around the city's art-filled hot spots won't be able to move forward.
However, artsy Toledoans can still take part in the tradition. Event organizers have put together a box full of art supplies to keep the creativity flowing from the comfort of your home.
Each box costs $30 and comes with a long list of items, perfect for both kids exploring their creativity and adults just trying to unwind.
Just pop open your art box, put on some Bob Ross and have yourself a socially distant Sunday.
What's in the box?
- TABILO Pen 68 Brush Markers - Set of 6. Provide thick and thin lines in brilliant colors. Ideal for color progression, blending, watercolor effects, and brush lettering for beginners or advanced artists. These markers have great coverage and feature up to 24 hours of dry-out protection without a cap.
- Col-Erase Non-Photo Blue. Erasable and light, this pencil has pigment that will not appear when photocopied. That means you don’t have to erase sketch lines before inking! Ideal for illustration and animation. PMA certified nontoxic.
- Art Creation Gouache Paint - Set of 12. These sets feature opaque gouache with excellent color intensity. It can be thinned with water and dries within several minutes. It is great for painting matte sections without leaving stripes. Various colors can quickly be painted over one another and the paint can be used on many grounds including paper, cardboard, wood, and more. Great for artists, designers, and illustrators and for color mixing instruction.
- Soft-Grip Golden Taklon Brush, Round 4. This brush uses durable taklon that resists abuse. Ideal for use with acrylics, tempera, gouache, and watercolors. Soft-Grip brushes feature thick acrylic handles and soft, no-slip rubber grips designed for extended periods of painting.
- Uni-Ball Gel Impact Pen in White. It features a rollerball tip and smooth rubber grip that provides superior comfort and control. These pens have a sleek design with a metallic sheen and produce thick and vibrant lines. Their Super Ink protects against water, fading and fraud.
- Pigma Micron PN Plastic Nib Pen. These pens offer high-quality performance with a plastic nib suitable for everyday, multi-purpose writing. The durable plastic nib provides skip-free writing, and a fine or medium line width (.4mm to .5mm) can be achieved, based on writing pressure. Pigma archival quality ink is waterproof, chemical and fade resistant, bleed free, quick-drying and pH neutral.
- Art Gum Eraser. Rubber gum-type block for pencil erasing. 2"W x 1"D x 1"H.
- Bonus! A selection of cardstock and construction paper with a Scrap4Art Mystery Mix bag full of fun surprises.
And if you aren't artistically inclined and need a bit of help getting started, the Arts Commission still has you covered. There are helpful how-to guides online and included in the box, as well as instructional videos by local artists themselves. Those are all available for free by clicking here, whether you purchased a box or not.
How do I buy one?
Just head over to the Arts Commission website here and fill out your order.
Boxes can be picked up every Wednesday through July from 3-6 p.m. at the Arts Commission located at 1838 Parkwood Ave #120 in Toledo.
Your art box must be purchased ahead of time and when you get there, just follow the signs to the pickup spot and stay in your car. Someone will come out to you!
Boxes can be purchased for yourself or donated to someone in need.
Show off on social media
Artists are encouraged to take a snapshot of their art box creations and post it on social media! Just use the hashtag #MyVibrantToledo.
Creators are also asked to tag @artscommission on Facebook, which would them permission to repost with photo credit.
- Mercé Culp - mixed media, fashion, street artist
- Imani Lateef - graphic designer, cartoonist, creator of JoonBugsWorld.com
- Jon Lightle - illustrator
- Jonie McIntire - literary artist, events coordinator, arts educator
- Alison Benbow - illustrator
- Gyona Rice - graphic designer
- Lydia Yant - graphic designer
For more information on the Art Loop art box, click here.