TOLEDO, Ohio — Here are three healthy-eating recipes for dishes featured on Good Day on Friday, Jan. 13. Try them out for yourself and let us know how they were!
Lentil pasta with roasted red pepper sauce
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium shallots* (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic* (finely chopped)
- Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk or whatever milk you have
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder (or other thickener of choice)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes ( optional)
- Lentil pasta
Finely chopped fresh parsley or basil
• Heat oven to 500 degrees F (260 C) and roast red peppers on a baking sheet until charred – about 25-30 minutes. Cover in foil for 10 minutes to steam, then remove (peel away) charred skin, seeds and stems. Set aside.
• Cook pasta according to package instructions; drain.
• In a large skillet over medium heat and sauté shallot and garlic in olive oil until golden brown and soft – about 4-5 minutes. Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper and stir.
• Transfer sautéed shallot and garlic to blender with roasted peppers, almond milk, red pepper flake(I add once plated), nutritional yeast and cornstarch. Blend until creamy and smooth, be generous with your seasonings.
• Once blended, place sauce back in the skillet over medium heat to thicken. Once it reaches a simmer, reduce heat to low and continue simmering.
- Top with cheese, basil or parsley and enjoy!
Strawberry Spinach Salad
Slice strawberries, spinach and red onions.
In a blender, combine:
- 1 cup salad oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt ( I use pink Himalayan)
- 1 tsp. dry mustard.
- 1/4 cup sugar( I use honey)
- Stir in poppy seeds
Homemade hot cocoa:
- 2 cups milk (preferably whole or 2%)
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (I use Bake Believe)
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Use a cookie or ice cream scoop to add chocolate to a mug.
- Refrigerate the rest for later use
MORE FROM GOOD DAY ON WTOL 11