Vendors snubbed by Riboff organizers, they say - Toledo News Now, News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

Vendors snubbed by Riboff organizers, they say

James McDay wanted to be invited back so he could defend his title. James McDay wanted to be invited back so he could defend his title.

Reported by Shelley Brown email

Posted by Kate Oatis email

TOLEDO (WTOL) - Big name entertainment like Ted Nugent, Gary Allen and Bo Bice are all part of the Northwest Ohio Riboff that kicks off Aug. 7 at the Lucas County Fairgrounds in Maumee.

But not everybody is excited about the event, saying they wonder why there are no local vendors.

Usually at this time of year, James McDay can be found getting ready for the Riboff. He even took home the People's Choice and Golden Rib awards at last year's event.

"I wanted to go back and defend my title, and right now we're not being asked back. Don't have answers why," said McDay, owner of We are Ribs.

McDay paid a $200 fee last year that he thought was supposed to secure a spot this year. He says he's tried to contact the organizer and even sent a certified letter.

At Mister Melon, which sells everything from fruit bowls to strawberry shortcake, Richard Zulch has the same concern. He says for months he's made countless calls to the organizer and has only received one return call.

Lora Koralewski, the organizer for the company that bought the Riboff, says she just received McDay's letter this week.

"The situation is being addressed... . We're just trying to do something different and give people of northwest Ohio something to look forward to," Koralewski said.

The organizer tells us she's worked out a deal to include at least "We are Ribs" in this year's event.

Powered by Frankly