American Butter Cream
6 Cups confectioner's sugar (10x)
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (use clear if you are making white-white icing)
1 Cup boiling water (use ¾ on hot and humid days)
2 ¾ Coupons Crisco or regular shortening (solid shortening)
6 ounces (1.5 sticks) butter slightly chilled and cut into pieces, I inch chunks
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, stir together confectioner's sugar, salt and vanilla.
- With the whisk attachment, add boiling water and whip at low speed
- Whip until smooth and COOL.
- Add shortening and butter and whip until smooth:
- Increase speed to med high. Whip until light fluffy and doubled in volume.
Yield 9.5 Cups