1. Bring 3 quarts of lightly salted water to a boil. Add whole wheat penne and cook until al dente (firm to the bite), about 10-12 minutes. Thoroughly drain pasta.
2. While the pasta is cooking, cut the tomatoes in half from top to bottom. Cut each half into four pieces.
3. Peel one clove of elephant garlic. Cut eight thin slices.
4. Preheat a heavy bottom sauté pan over medium heat for one minute. Add extra virgin olive oil and elephant garlic slices. Cook until garlic begins to just brown.
5. Add tomatoes and allow to heat through (Approximately one minute.) Resist the urge to stir frequently, as the tomatoes will fall apart.
6. Reduce heat to low. Add vegetable broth and Saga Blue Cheese. Continue to cook until cheese is just melted.
7. Toss in strips of fresh basil and serve over cooked whole wheat pasta. This dish is great with a slice of roasted garlic baguette for dipping!
Chef's Tip: The success of this dish is based largely on the quality of the tomatoes. "On the vine" or heirloom tomatoes available at your local market will work nicely, but this is also a great reason to explore a local farmers market! The Saga Blue Cheese and Elephant Garlic are mild in flavor, and will nicely compliment the fresh tomatoes and basil.