Downtown Toledo gas leak sends 16 to hospitals

Sixteen residents were taken to area hospitals Sunday night.
Sixteen residents were taken to area hospitals Sunday night.
Fourteen residents were taken to other shelters for the remainder of the night.
Fourteen residents were taken to other shelters for the remainder of the night.

DOWNTOWN TOLEDO -- An update on breaking news we have been following since Sunday night.

More than a dozen people are being treated at local hospitals after a gas leak.

It happened around 11:00 at the Saint Paul Community Center on 13 Street in downtown Toledo.

Jennifer Boresz joins is reporting live at the scene Monday morning.

No one is back inside the building early Monday morning. Sixteen residents have been taken to area hospitals. Fourteen more have been take to other shelters. The men were moved to the Cherry Street Mission and the women were moved to the YWCA.

Executive Director Ruth Arden tells News 11, "A couple of people said they had a headache, some felt dizzy and some were just worried. So we had a combination of those things."

Residents called Columbia Gas when they smelled gas fumes. Columbia Gas investigated. The building was evacuated when residents started to complain of headaches and dizziness. Columbia Gas found high levels of carbon monoxide in the center. They turned off the gas and plan to return around 8 a.m. Monday to repair the line.

Posted by LS