Sylvania Township -- A fire at Budd's Expert Auto on Central Ave. near King has been declared a total loss by fire investigators.
The fire closed down Central Ave in both directions Thursday afternoon for about two hours.
Fire crews say the flames broke out about 3:45 when mechanics inside the shop were changing a fuel pump. It dropped and gas leaked, igniting from some sort of spark. Possibly from a furnace.
One worker tried to put out the flames with an extinguisher, but the fire grew too quickly. The two mechanics working escaped the blaze before the roof collapsed.
The owner of Budd's is out of town vacationing in Florida. News 11's Lisa Rantala spoke with a relative who said the business had been there about 20 years. It was a small operation, and that it should be covered by insurance.