Air handler fire quickly controlled, St. Luke's Hospital says

From a St. Luke's Hospital news release:

MAUMEE -- Shortly after 6 pm Tuesday, a part in a roof-top air handler motor caught fire at St. Luke's Hospital. The fire occurred completely outside the building and was quickly controlled by the St. Luke's maintenance staff and the Maumee Fire Department.

Activating the fire hose, however, automatically tripped the fire alarm throughout the hospital. Because of the location of the fire, smoke was visible from various area locations.

Everyone present on campus at the time remained safe and secure. No evacuations were necessary.

Facilities personnel are working overnight with the hospital's HVAC vendor to replace the damaged unit. They expect the new one to be fully operational by midday Wednesday.

Posted by KO