Charlie Fackelman sentence of 6-22 years brings shock

Charlie Fackleman in court with his attorney at the sentencing hearing on Friday, February, 29.
Charlie Fackleman in court with his attorney at the sentencing hearing on Friday, February, 29.
Charlie Fackelman, Jr. in a photo from high school.
Charlie Fackelman, Jr. in a photo from high school.

MONROE COUNTY, MI -- News 11's Lisa Rantala reported gasps and screams in the court room as Charles Fackleman was sentenced to 6-22 years.

After his son was killed in a car accident, Fackelman went to the home of Randy Krell with a gun, the man he believes is responsible for that accident. Fackleman's attorneys say he then broke into a home of Krell's neighbor looking for him there. This led to Fackelman being charged with home invasion, two counts of felonious assault and possession of a firearm.

In court, Fackelman's attorney said he had to bury his son near Father's Day, and it was more than he could handle. Last month, Fackelman was found guilty but mentally ill.

After the sentencing, Fackelman's family expressed disbelief and sadness, saying they now have to say goodbye to another family member. They also said they don't understand how Fackleman can be sentenced to so many years when Krell only served five months on a negligent homicide conviction for his role in the accident.

The original accident happened in June of 2006. Five teens were driving around when one threw a water bottle out the window. It hit the car of Krell, who then chased the teens. The speeding chase resulted in a crash that killed Charlie Fackelman, Jr. and paralyzed Stevie Beale.

For more information on that story read the News 11 Special Report: Deadly Encounter.

Posted by LS