God planted the seed for the birth of Olivet Lutheran Church in the spring of 1913, as three families gathered together and sought religious training from the Rev. Alvin E. Bell, then pastor of Glenwood Lutheran Church.
On April 26, 1914 Olivet Lutheran Church was organized. The members met at Elden Hall at Whiteford and Alexis roads above a grocery store for two years. There were 24 charter members in the mission congregation. The Rev. Bert Uhl became the pastor in July 1914, serving Augsburg Lutheran Church and Olivet simultaneously. Sunday School attendance was 20 members, and the average weekly offering was 75 cents! Olivet's first building was dedicated in June 1916 at the southwest corner of Whiteford and Alexis Roads. By 1921 Olivet had a full time pastor and a 75 member congregation.
In 1936 Olivet began to offer 2 worship services to meet the need of its expanding congregation. By 1942 there were 463 confirmed members and 230 Sunday School students. In 1950 Olivet moved to its current site on Monroe Street, constructing a Southern Colonial style structure. The education wing was added in 1957.
Olivet assisted two mission churches (Advent and St. Stephen's) in their establishment in the growing community of Sylvania. Under the leadership of Pastor William E. Cox, the pastoral team expanded to include an associate pastor as membership increased.
In 1985 Olivet added a fellowship hall, space for 6 classrooms, office area, lounge and atrium. In 1989, Olivet celebrated its 75th anniversary, having grown from 24 to 1154 confirmed members and hundreds of child members. We dedicated our new Christian Life Center in 2007 - a versatile space that hosts our contemporary worship service, Sunday School and Vacation Bible School, as well as many other ministries and community activities.