1 Cup Whole wheat Flour
1 Tsp. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Salt
1 Tsp. Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Shortening
2 Tbsp. Butter
3 Tbsp. Cold Water
1 Tbsp. Oil
1 1/2 C. Leeks, diced (white part only)
4 Slices Canadian bacon, cut into julienne
4 Tbsp. Butter
2 1/2 C. Milk
3 Tbsp. Heavy Cream
1/4 tsp. each Salt and freshly Ground Pepper
1/4 tsp. Paprika
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a small bowl-- combine flour, baking powder, and salt
3. Add shortening and butter, cut into small pieces, and rub gently until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Dissolve sugar in 3 Tbsp. of cold water and oil. Add enough liquid until mixture comes cleanly away from the sides of the bowl.
5. Turn onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently, 1 minute. Allow pastry to rest (covered) in refrigerator-- 15 min.
6. Roll out pastry and line a 8 or 9 inch greased tart pan. Pinch the base with the dough all over with a fork and bake blind (line the pastry with parchment paper and fill with rice or dried beans) in preheated oven for five minutes.
Remove the parchment paper and dry filling, and bake 5 minutes.