Smokey Bones Airdate: 2/4/05
¼ pound whole pecans
2 Bosc or Bartlett pears
2 tablespoons vegetable oil 2 bags leaf spinach (9 oz. each) washed
1 lb. red seedless grapes washed
2 cups bleu cheese crumbles
½ medium red onion, sliced
1 cup diced Roma tomatoes
1 cup raspberry vinaigrette dressing (or vinaigrette dressing)
1 15-ounce can mandarin orange segments, drained
· Chill one large mixing bowl and four large individual salad bowls.
· Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and preheat charcoal or gas grill to medium-high heat.
· Set pecans on baking tray and place in oven for 10-15 minutes until dark brown taking care not to burn. Remove pan from oven and set aside to cool.
· Cut each pear in half lengthwise and remove stem, bottom and seeds. Slice each half into approximately 3/16" slices.
· Immediately lightly brush oil each pear slice on both sides, place on grill for approximately 1 minute per side. Remove from grill, place on pan, and chill in refrigerator. Completing Oregon Pear and Spinach Salad
· Cut chilled pear slices in half lengthwise.
· In large chilled mixing bowl, place spinach, grilled pears, grapes, bleu cheese crumbles, red onion slices, chopped roasted pecans, tomatoes and vinaigrette dressing.
· Toss well and portion into individual salad bowls. Garnish each salad with ¼ of the drained mandarin oranges.
· Immediately lightly brush oil each pear slice on both sides, place on grill for approximately 1 minute per side. Remove from grill, place on pan, and chill in refrigerator.