James Bear Sweet Potato Rolls
2 packages of yeast (1/4 ounce packages)
¼ cup sugar
½ cup water (110 to 115 degrees)
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon salt
3 eggs – one of which is beaten together with 2 tablespoons heavy cream
3 to 3 ½ cups flour
½ cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- In a bowl, combine yeast with 1 tablespoon of sugar and warm water, let proof for 5 minutes. Add remaining sugar, butter, salt, and 2 of the eggs to the yeast mixture, stir to blend well. Stir in the flour, 1 cup at a time, and then stir in the sweet potato. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 2 to 3 minutes adding only enough flour to prevent it from sticking to the board.
- When the dough is smooth and springy, shape it into a ball. Place in an oiled bowl, and coat the dough completely with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and shape into 2 dozen golf ball sized balls. Place them on a buttered cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush the rolls with the beaten egg and cream mixture. Bake for 20 minutes.