Standard Pastry Crust
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
2 – 3 tablespoons COLD water
- In small bowl, mix flour and salt together.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until particles are size of small peas.
- Add cold water by tablespoons until all of flour is moistened, using a fork to gently press mixture together into a ball.
- Gather dough into ball.
- Place ball on lightly floured board; press dough into pancake.
- Pinch edges of dough together gently with fingers.
- Roll dough from center to outside edges in four directions to keep dough circular.
- Dough should be rolled so that it is 1 ½ inches larger than pie pan.
- Fit dough loosely into pie pan.
- Cut off dough, allowing 1 inch of extra over pie pan edge.
- Fold dough under evenly, flute edge.
- Prick holes in bottom and sides with a fork.
- Bake in oven at 400 degrees F for 6-8 minutes, until golden brown.