Honey Brined Turkey
2 gallons hot water
2 pounds kosher salt
4 quarts chicken broth
2 pounds honey
2 bags (14 pounds) of ice
1 (15 to 20 pound) turkey, with giblets removed
Vegetable oil, for rubbing turkey
- Combine the hot water and the salt in a 54-quart cooler. Stir until the salt dissolves. Stir in the vegetable broth and the honey.
- Add the ice and stir.
- Place the turkey in the brine, breast side up, and cover with cooler lid. Brine overnight, up to 12 hours.
- Remove the turkey from the brine and dry thoroughly.
- Rub the bird thoroughly with the vegetable oil.
- Cook the turkey as you normally would, and serve.