In 2017, the Salvation Army assisted 10,114 people during the holidays; 6,112 of them being children.
This is through programs like the Holiday Assistance Program where families apply and qualify for a gift card for food, and gifts for kids 14 and younger.
Wood County Residents can apply starting October 1 through November 30 at the Salvation Army Building at 1045 N Main Street in Bowling Green from 9 - 11 a.m. and 1 - 3 p.m.
Lucas County residents can apply October 9 - 12, 22, and 24 - 26 from 9 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. and on October 23 from 1 to 6 p.m. The address for the Salvation Army Northwest Ohio Area Services in Lucas County is 620 N. Erie St., Toledo, Ohio 43604.
Ottawa County residents can get an application starting October 1, from Jobs and Family Services in Ottawa County, all Ottawa County Public Libraries or The Salvation Army in Port Clinton, 1834 E. Perry St.
The following documentation is required for all applications:
- Picture ID for all adults in the household
- Proof of income for the household, current within the past 30 days (Note: everyone living under the same roof in a single family home is considered a household member) such as a pay stub, unemployment or SS/SSI/SSD printout
- Proof of address with the applicant’s name, address and dated within the past 30 days, such as a utility bill or mail received in the past 30 days
- Birth certificates for each child in the household or one of the following that must include a birth date: official school records, printout from Social Security or income tax return from 2017
- Custody papers if child is not your birth child.