TOLEDO, OH (WTOL) - It's Jeep Week in Toledo and Off-Road Customs gives Go 419 the off-roading must-haves for Jeepers.
Owner Doug Keller tricked out the First Alert Defender to get him off-road ready.
Here are the five things every Jeeper -- new or seasoned mudder -- need to have before they take their Wrangler off road:
- Lift Kit! Doug Keller, owner of Off-Road Customs, puts on range of lift kits from; 2.5 inches to 4 inches. The most common lift kit for off-roading is the 2.5 inch or 3.5-inch kit.
- Tires & Wheels! Keller upgrades Wranglers to 35-inch tires keeps the Jeep moving rough the mud and rough terrain.
- Winch Kit! You don’t want to get stuck, right? Keller can put on a variety of winches on Wranglers some with wireless control but you need heavy duty synthetic rope or cable. Having a recovery point on the front and back of your Jeep, attached to the frame, is vital if you don’t have a winch.
- Lockers! Jeep Axle Lockers are vital for better traction on the rough stuff! A locker is designed to give your Wrangler traction with BOTH tires. If one wheel is stuck, both wheels will spin, not just the one that’s stuck. With a full locker, you are forcing both tires to rotate together at the same speed.
- Recovery straps! If you or a fellow Jeepster get stuck, you better be hoping one of y’all has good recovery straps. These can be the cable or heavy-duty recovery rope in your winch kit or a recovery strap that you carry with you. Either way, you need it.
Check out Off-Road Customs, 223 W Alexis Road, for all things Jeep!