TOLEDO, OH (WTOL) - Before packing up & heading out of town for vacation, you'll want to make sure your house is protected.
While you're relaxing over the summer, the last thing you want to worry about is being the victim of a burglary.
Here are some tips to ensure your home is as safe as possible when you're not there:
- Ask a neighbor or family member to keep an eye on your home while you're away.
- Install timers on your lights, or install camera systems where you can watch what's going on inside or outside your home from your phone.
- Contact the post office and stop your mail while you're away.
- Be sure to lock everything.
- Beware of social media. Studies show burglars use social media as a way to choose their next target.
- Don't overshare your plans. Keep the details between you and close family or friends.
- Turn off your location so your geographic location won't be added to any of your posts.
- Use Social Media Management sites to help schedule your posts so they aren't added till you get back.
- Manage your tagging settings. They will prevent other people's posts from automatically showing up on your page.
"The general rule is to just make it look like you're still occupying that space, whether you leave the car parked in the space in your driveway or the lights on. Just make sure it appears someone is still inside," said TPD Lieutenant Kevan Toney.
If you do think something suspicious is going on, call the police and they will get someone to go to your house to check it out.