On this date, June 28th, 1924 the deadliest tornado in Ohio history struck Lorain and Sandusky. This tornado is now estimated at $1 Billion in damages in today's dollars.
While the Fujita scale was not established at this time, it is estimated this tornado was at F4 intensity.
- Developed over Sandusky Bay
- Touched Down at 4:35 PM
- Damaged or destroyed 9 city blocks on the north side of town and lakeshore
- Destroyed over 100 homes and 20 businesses
- Sandusky Yacht Club building swept into the bay
- At least 8 deaths
- Touched Down at 5:08 PM
- Tore a 3 mile path directly through downtown Lorain
- Over 4,000 feet wide at one point
- Over 1,000 homes damaged and 500 destroyed
- All downtown business damaged, 200 destroyed
- State Theater collapsed, killing 15 during Saturday afternoon matinee musical
- At least 72 total deaths
*Source: Thunder in the Heartland