Qatar helps keep US capital city subway open for NHL fans - News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

Qatar helps keep US capital city subway open for NHL fans

WASHINGTON (AP) - Thanks to Qatar, hockey fans in the U.S. capital get an extra hour of subway service on the night of Game 4 of the Eastern Conference final between the Washington Capitals and Tampa Bay Lightning.

It costs $100,000 to keep the Metrorail system open for an additional 60 minutes past midnight. Metro eliminated late-night operating hours because of budget constraints.

Hours before the scheduled start of Thursday's game, Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser tweeted that Qatar and the Downtown D.C. Business Improvement District are "doing it again to deliver late night Metro service to Caps fans."

The Qatar Embassy also touted the arrangement, saying via Twitter: "We believe in bringing communities closer together through sports."

Qatar has mounted an aggressive and well-funded campaign to rehabilitate its image in the U.S. since President Donald Trump chided the country last year for funding terrorism. Qatar's ruling emir visited the White House last month.

Jack Evans, the chairman of Metro's board of directors and a D.C. Council member, said the Capitals declined to pay to keep the subway system open in the event of an overtime game.

___

For more NHL coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/NHLhockey

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • NationalMore>>

  • Trump administration defends Keystone XL pipeline in court

    Trump administration defends Keystone XL pipeline in court

    Thursday, May 24 2018 2:52 AM EDT2018-05-24 06:52:00 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 5:15 AM EDT2018-05-25 09:15:22 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, file). FILE - This March 24, 2017, file photo shows President Donald Trump, flanked by Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, left, and Energy Secretary Rick Perry, announcing the approval of a permit to build the Keystone XL pipeline, c...(AP Photo/Evan Vucci, file). FILE - This March 24, 2017, file photo shows President Donald Trump, flanked by Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, left, and Energy Secretary Rick Perry, announcing the approval of a permit to build the Keystone XL pipeline, c...
    Attorneys for the Trump administration are due in a Montana courtroom Thursday to defend the approval of TransCanada's disputed Keystone XL oil sands pipeline project.More >>
    Attorneys for the Trump administration are due in a Montana courtroom Thursday to defend the approval of TransCanada's disputed Keystone XL oil sands pipeline project.More >>
  • Gut check: Swallowed capsule could spot trouble, send alert

    Gut check: Swallowed capsule could spot trouble, send alert

    Thursday, May 24 2018 3:12 PM EDT2018-05-24 19:12:24 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 5:03 AM EDT2018-05-25 09:03:52 GMT
    (Lillie Paquette/MIT School of Engineering via AP). This undated photo provided by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology School of Engineering in May 2018 shows a capsule packed with electronics and genetically engineered living cells in Cambridge,...(Lillie Paquette/MIT School of Engineering via AP). This undated photo provided by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology School of Engineering in May 2018 shows a capsule packed with electronics and genetically engineered living cells in Cambridge,...
    Scientists develop a swallowed capsule that might someday be used to spot health problems from inside the gut.More >>
    Scientists develop a swallowed capsule that might someday be used to spot health problems from inside the gut.More >>
  • Jury recommends $25M in Johnson & Johnson lawsuit

    Jury recommends $25M in Johnson & Johnson lawsuit

    Thursday, May 24 2018 4:42 PM EDT2018-05-24 20:42:21 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 5:03 AM EDT2018-05-25 09:03:48 GMT
    Johnson & Johnson said it's disappointed in the decision and will appeal. (Source: AP Photo/Tony Dejak)Johnson & Johnson said it's disappointed in the decision and will appeal. (Source: AP Photo/Tony Dejak)

    A Southern California jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay more than $25 million to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that she developed cancer by using the company's talc-based baby powder.

    More >>

    A Southern California jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay more than $25 million to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that she developed cancer by using the company's talc-based baby powder.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly