Surprise mom Pays it Forward to firefighters who saved her life - News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

Surprise mom Pays it Forward to firefighters who saved her life

(Source: 3TV/CBS 5) (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)
(Source: 3TV/CBS 5) (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)
SURPRISE, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -

The calls come in every day with Valley Firefighters jumping into action to save lives. But first responders don't seek out attention or need a pat on the back.

"I don't consider myself a hero," said paramedic Brad Buscher, with the Surprise Fire Department. "I just consider myself doing what I signed up to do."

Shannon Graham and her son, Brock see things a little different.

A couple months ago, the 37-year-old mom from Surprise had some chest pain and nearly died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

"I did code multiple times," said Graham. "They had to do CPR and shock me back. I don't remember it obviously, because they said my heart stopped."

Paramedics from the Surprise Fire Department were able to revive Graham and get her the care she needed.

The West Valley mom couldn't be more thankful, and so is her son.

"It's a blessing, definitely, to have my family and be able to wake up and be my son's mom still," said Graham.

"I took it to heart because it was like they gave my mom another chance to live and gave me more time with my mom, and not a lot of kids have that nowadays," said Brock Graham.

Graham reached out to CBS 5 to Pay it Forward to the paramedics who saved her life, and give them $500 to help others in the community through their local charity.

A CBS 5 news camera was rolling when she showed up at the fire station.

"I just want to thank you guys so much for everything you did," said Graham. "I love every day with my son, and I feel like you guys gave me one more day to be my son's mom. I just want you to know what it means to me, and what you did for me and my son. Here's $500 for your charity. Thank you so much on behalf of me and my son and CBS 5."

"It keeps you getting up in the morning and enjoying what we do," said Buscher.

Click/tap here to download the free azfamily mobile app.

Copyright 2018 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

• Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Grandmother sentenced to death by hanging for drug smuggling

Thursday, May 24 2018 12:50 PM EDT2018-05-24 16:50:33 GMT
    Maria Elvira Pinto Exposto (L), 54, is escorted upon her arrival at the Shah Alam High Court ahead of the verdict in her drugs conviction in Shah Alam, outside Kuala Lumpur, on December 27, 2017. (Getty Images)Maria Elvira Pinto Exposto (L), 54, is escorted upon her arrival at the Shah Alam High Court ahead of the verdict in her drugs conviction in Shah Alam, outside Kuala Lumpur, on December 27, 2017. (Getty Images)

An Australian woman has been sentenced to death by hanging after a Malaysian court overturned an earlier acquittal of drug smuggling charges.

More >>

Good Samaritan killed trying to help driver who crashed on Loop 202 Red Mountain

Thursday, May 24 2018 2:48 PM EDT2018-05-24 18:48:29 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 9:28 PM EDT2018-05-25 01:28:49 GMT
    DPS confirmed that a vehicle hit the wall on the eastbound side of the freeway. (Source: Arizona's Family viewer)DPS confirmed that a vehicle hit the wall on the eastbound side of the freeway. (Source: Arizona's Family viewer)

A good Samaritan trying to help a driver who crashed on the Loop 202 Red Mountain freeway was hit by a car and killed Thursday.

Six Flags buys Wet 'N' Wild Phoenix water park

Thursday, May 24 2018 9:02 PM EDT2018-05-25 01:02:46 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 9:27 PM EDT2018-05-25 01:27:57 GMT
    (Source: Facebook)(Source: Facebook)
    (Source: Facebook)(Source: Facebook)

Get ready for some Six Flags-style fun right here in the Valley. Six Flags is buying Wet 'N' Wild Phoenix.

• Featured VideoMore>>

Volunteers needed to help military veterans

Thursday, May 24 2018 8:05 PM EDT2018-05-25 00:05:50 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 3:41 AM EDT2018-05-25 07:41:20 GMT
    (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)(Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

Volunteers help make sure we all honor the service of U.S. military veterans.

More >>

Volunteers help make sure we all honor the service of U.S. military veterans.

More >>

Volunteer Pays It Forward to crisis response leader who helps save pets left behind

Friday, May 25 2018 12:33 AM EDT2018-05-25 04:33:45 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 3:40 AM EDT2018-05-25 07:40:33 GMT
    Fellow volunteer Robert Estep has seen how devoted Audra Colson is, helping place more than 50 pets since last year, so he reached out to CBS 5 to Pay it Forward to the woman keeping dogs and cats happy. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)Fellow volunteer Robert Estep has seen how devoted Audra Colson is, helping place more than 50 pets since last year, so he reached out to CBS 5 to Pay it Forward to the woman keeping dogs and cats happy. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

Lady is a cute cocker spaniel whose owner died suddenly, leaving her all alone. Rocky is a 3-year-old Chihuahua who was found with 30 other animals in a hoarder's house.

Avondale police officer charges suspect with K9 partner

Friday, May 25 2018 1:50 AM EDT2018-05-25 05:50:43 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 1:50 AM EDT2018-05-25 05:50:43 GMT

Avondale police are taking some heat after an unusual arrest was caught on tape and then posted to Facebook. At one point, an officer picks up a K9 officer and charges the suspect, which is causing some backlash.

Powered by Frankly