Father who lunged at Nassar releases statement over online fundr - News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

Father who lunged at Nassar releases statement over online fundraiser

Source: CNN Source: CNN
EATON COUNTY, Mich. (WNEM) -

The father who attacked former doctor Larry Nassar in court has released a statement following the suspension of an online fundraiser made in his name. 

This GoFundMe page raised more than $31,000 for Randall Margraves. He went after the disgraced sports doctor during sentencing Friday in Eaton County. 

Margraves and IBEW 665 released a joint statement Thursday, Feb. 8, after the online fundraiser was suspended. The fundraiser was not authorized by Margraves, he said. 

"After his actions against Nassar in court last week, Randy was the recipient of the online fundraiser, much of which came from supportive IBEW members locally and across the country," the statement said. "While Randy deeply appreciates the outpouring of support, he says it is not needed for him. Those who donated to the fundraiser can choose to either get a refund or leave the donation to be given to charities that help survivors of sexual abuse." 

Margraves said he was a "distraught father" and cursed at Nassar, but Judge Janice Cunningham told him that was not allowed in court.

He then asked the judge for personal time alone with the "demon."

"I would ask you, as part of the sentencing, to grant me five minutes in a locked room with this demon," he asked. "Would you give me one minute?"

The judge declined, saying, "That's not how our legal system works."

"Well, I'm going to have to," Margraves responded, and he launched into a sprint toward Nassar.

Security rushed to stop him and grabbed him from behind before he was able to reach Nassar.

"I want that son of a b****!" the man yelled as he was being detained. "Give me one minute with that bastard."

He added, "What if this happened to you guys?"

The incident sparked harsh words from Michigan Assistant Attorney General Angela Povilaitis in court.

"You cannot behave like that," she said. "No one can behave like this. I want to make sure it's crystal clear."

As he was ushered out of the room, Margraves responded: "You haven't lived through it, lady."

Margraves has three daughters who were sexually assaulted by Nassar.

Read the full statement here: 

The following are statements from Randy Margraves and IBEW 665 regarding the GoFundMe online fundraiser that raised $31,311 to help Randy, who is the father of three daughters abused by Larry Nassar and a member of IBEW 665.  After his actions against Nassar in court last week, Randy was the recipient of the online fundraiser, much of which came from supportive IBEW members locally and across the country.

While Randy deeply appreciates the outpouring of support, he says it is not needed for him. Those who donated to the fundraiser can choose to either get a refund or leave the donation to be given to charities that help survivors of sexual abuse. After March 9, any remaining funds in the account will be donated to local charities like Small Talk, RAVE, and the Firecracker Foundation.

“At the time of the incident, I didn’t know that the great brotherhood had done this, and I was overcome with gratitude when I found out. I appreciate everyone stepping up to support me, but help is not needed for me. After giving people the chance to get a refund, the donations will go to organizations that help the sisterhood of survivors and other victims of abuse.” – Randy Margraves

“IBEW 665 unequivocally supports Randy, his family, and all of the survivors of these horrible crimes. This situation has demonstrated the strength of the bond among our union brothers and sisters. It’s uplifting to see how willing people are to support those in need, and we’re glad to see the money going to organizations that help survivors of abuse.”

Copyright 2018 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved. 

  • Headlines from Lucas, Wood, Ottawa, Fulton & Monroe CountiesNewsMore>>

  • In Case You Missed It: Saturday Morning WTOL Interviews - August 18, 2018

    In Case You Missed It: Saturday Morning WTOL Interviews - August 18, 2018

    Saturday, August 18 2018 10:09 AM EDT2018-08-18 14:09:47 GMT
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)
    Here is a list of the interviews from August 4, 2018 on WTOL 11 Your Morning: Toledo Zoo Stroller Safari: Education Manager Nicole Syrek invites parents and children to break out the stroller and explore the zoo to learn fun animal facts. Red Line Circuit Training Jason Mercurio, Toledo firefighter and owner of Red Line Circuit Training, talks about how you can stay in shape with a 30-minute, 3-round circuit that targets all muscle groups. Glass City Donut Festival Commu...More >>
    Here is a list of the interviews from August 4, 2018 on WTOL 11 Your Morning: Toledo Zoo Stroller Safari: Education Manager Nicole Syrek invites parents and children to break out the stroller and explore the zoo to learn fun animal facts. Red Line Circuit Training Jason Mercurio, Toledo firefighter and owner of Red Line Circuit Training, talks about how you can stay in shape with a 30-minute, 3-round circuit that targets all muscle groups. Glass City Donut Festival Commu...More >>
  • TPD searching for missing girl whose family is concerned for her safety due to her mental health

    TPD searching for missing girl whose family is concerned for her safety due to her mental health

    Saturday, August 18 2018 8:48 AM EDT2018-08-18 12:48:28 GMT
    Sierra Carter (Source: TPD)Sierra Carter (Source: TPD)
    Sierra Carter (Source: TPD)Sierra Carter (Source: TPD)
    Toledo police are looking for a missing 17-year-old girl.  Police say Sierra Carter was last seen at 2005 Ashland on Thursday. Toledo Police Department Police say Carter's family is concerned for her safety due to her mental health.  Carter is described as a black female standing at 5 feet and weighing 135 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a black button-up shirt and khaki pants. Anyone with information should call Crime Stopper at 4...More >>
    Toledo police are looking for a missing 17-year-old girl.  Police say Sierra Carter was last seen at 2005 Ashland on Thursday. Toledo Police Department Police say Carter's family is concerned for her safety due to her mental health.  Carter is described as a black female standing at 5 feet and weighing 135 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a black button-up shirt and khaki pants. Anyone with information should call Crime Stopper at 4...More >>
  • First Alert Forecast: Sunny, humid day with chance of afternoon thunderstorm

    First Alert Forecast: Sunny, humid day with chance of afternoon thunderstorm

    Scattered showers will continue this evening and early tonight.

    More >>

    Scattered showers will continue this evening and early tonight.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly