TOLEDO, OH (WTOL) - An early-morning apartment fire in east Toledo took away pets and homes on Thursday.
The occurred at the apartments on the 400 block of Oswald around 2:30 a.m.
Crews say the initial report was that the apartment was firebombed, but a resident admitted they were cooking and left food on the stove.
The battalion chief said that was the cause of the fire.
There were a total of four apartments in the complex, two of which caught fire.
All residents were evacuated and all we able to get out safely.
"Once I woke up, I noticed that there was a big cloud of smoke going through my upper window. When I opened the door there was nothing but smoke, so I hurried up and got my kids out of the house," said one of the residents.
People were carrying their pets to safety as there were a lot of dogs in the apartment complex.
At least two dogs have died in the fire.
The Red Cross is assisting those who were displaced by the fire.