Make Mother's Day truly special by having the kids help make, and clean up after, a Mother's Day brunch. Children as young as 2 years old can help in the kitchen. The time you invest with your children, or grandchildren, will be well worth the effort provides a lifetime of benefits:
- Encourages kids to try healthy foods.
- Provides a sense of accomplishment and contribution to the family.
- Kids are more interested in family meals when they help to prepare food.
- Builds “Kitchen Confidence” in children.
- Increases quality time that parent spend with their kids.
At 2 years:
- Rinse vegetables or fruits
- Snap green beans
- Place things in trash
- Tear lettuce or greens
- Help “read” a cookbook by turning pages Wipe tables
- Make “faces” out of pieces of fruits and vegetables
- Hand items to adult put away (such as after grocery shopping)
At 3 years - All that a 2-year-old can do, plus:
- Add ingredients
- Talk about cooking
- Scoop or mash potatoes
- Squeeze citrus fruits
- Stir pancake batter
- Knead and shape dough
- Name and count foods
- Help assemble a pizza
At 4 years - All that a 3-year-old can do, plus:
- Set the table
- Crack eggs
- Help measure dry ingredients
- Help make sandwiches & tossed salads
- Peel eggs and some fruits, such as oranges and bananas
At 5 years - All that a 4-year-old can do, plus:
- Measure liquids
- Cut soft fruits with a dull knife
Burrito Maker Omelet
- 2 True Goodness® by Meijer Organic large eggs, lightly scrambled
- 1 tablespoon Meijer shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1-2 tablespoons True Goodness® by Meijer Salsa
- Preheat Breakfast Burrito Maker until the green PREHEAT light comes on. Lift cover, top ring and cooking plate.
- Add eggs and cheese to bottom ring of Breakfast Burrito Maker.
- Lower cooking plate and top ring. Add peppers and onions to center of cooking plate.
- Close cover. Set timer and cook 4 minutes.
- Slide out cooking plate by rotating handle clockwise. Lift cover and rings; carefully remove omelet with plastic spatula. Fold omelet in half. Serve with salsa.
TEST KITCHEN TIP: Add precooked crumbled turkey sausage or bacon when adding peppers and onions if desired.
Tropical Fruit Salad
Makes 8 servings
- 3/4 cup True Goodness by Meijer Coconut Flakes
- 2 Tbsps. True Goodness by Meijer honey
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 kiwis, peeled and sliced
- 1 banana, peeled and sliced on the bias
- 1 small bunch red grapes, halved
- 1 Mango cut into chunks (thaw if using frozen)
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1” cubes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spread the coconut out on a baking sheet. Toast until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from the baking sheet to a small bowl to cool.
- Whisk together the honey, mint, lime zest and juice. Add the kiwis, banana, grapes, mango and pineapple and toss, making sure all the fruit is coated with the dressing. Sprinkle with the coconut before serving.
True Goodness Energy Bites
Makes approx. 26 bites
- ½ cup True Goodness by Meijer Creamy Peanut Spread
- 1/3 cup True Goodness by Meijer Organic Honey
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup True Goodness by Meijer Old Fashioned Oats
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 2/3 cup True Goodness by Meijer Organic Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 2 Tbsps. True Goodness by Meijer Organic Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium sized bowl until well combined.
- Roll into tablespoon sized balls and place in the refrigerator to set for 30 minutes.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
- Enjoy with iced or hot tea.
Canadian Bacon, Egg and Cheese Muffin
- 1 English muffin, split
- 1 slice American cheese
- 1 slice Canadian bacon (or Ham)
- 1 True Goodness® by Meijer Organic large egg, lightly scrambled
- Preheat Breakfast Sandwich Maker until green PREHEAT light comes on. Lift cover, top ring and cooking plate.
- Place bottom half of English muffin, split-side up in bottom ring of Breakfast Sandwich Maker. Top with cheese and Canadian bacon.
- Lower cooking plate and top ring. Add egg to cooking plate.
- Top with remaining muffin half, split-side down.
- Close cover. Cook 4 to 5 minutes.
- Slide out cooking plate by rotating handle clockwise. Lift cover and rings; carefully remove sandwich with plastic spatula.