Celebrating the Kentucky Derby with Dei Fratelli Products
KENTUCKY HOT BROWN SANDWICH
The Kentucky Hot Brown is an open-faced turkey sandwich topped with bacon and Mornay sauce and then baked until the bread is crispy and the cheesy sauce browns - is not actually named after the finished product's coloring. It was created at the Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky in the 1920's.You don't need to make a special roasted turkey breast for these sandwiches; slices of leftover roasted turkey are equally as scrumptious.
Prep Time: 18 min Cook Time: 5 min Servings: 4
1/3 Cup Butter (cubed)
¼ Cup All-purpose flour
1 ½ Cup Whole milk
1 Cup Shredded Swiss cheese
1 Can Dei Fratelli Petite Diced (strained)
1. In a small sauce pan, add cubed butter, flour and milk and set to medium high. Stir to combine ingredients until it forms a thick sauce. About 4 minutes.
2. Lower heat to low and stir in cheese in batches until completely melted.
3. Add salt and pepper to desired taste.
4. Take the sauce off of the heat and gently fold in strained Dei Fratelli Petite Diced tomatoes. Set the sauce to the side.
4 Pieces thick sliced bread. Sourdough recommended
8 Pieces thick slice bacon
8 Slices yellow sharp cheddar cheese
4 Thick sliced turkey. About ½ pound each (from your deli recommended)
4 Cup Tomato Gravy (recipe above)
4 Tops of green onion chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350?F.
2. Cook bacon as per instructions and place on paper towel to cool down.
3. Line bread onto a large sheet tray. Add turkey, bacon and cheese in that order to the bread.
4. Ladle gravy onto sandwiches and place sheet tray into oven.
5. Cook sandwiches in oven until cheese is melted, and sauce just begins to brown, about 5-6 min.
6. Carefully remove sheet tray from oven and remove sandwiches using spatula.
7. Garnish with chopped green onion and serve immediately.
Broccoli and Cauliflower w/ Tomato Gravy
Prep time: 4 min Cook Time: 25min Servings: 6
1 Head broccoli
1 Head cauliflower
3 oz. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Cup Tomato gravy