Seagate Centre loses power Friday

Seagate Centre loses power Friday

TOLEDO, OH (Toledo News Now) - There was some unexpected excitement at the Seagate Centre in downtown Toledo Friday after the building lost power during the R/C Model expo.

Fire officials responded to the call after a transformer blew that luckily didn't catch fire.

"When we got here we found out, fortunately, that there wasn't a fire, that behind me you see power vaults for the electrical transformers, one of them had dysfunctioned in a very loud manner," said Bryce Blair, Battalion Chief of the Toledo Fire Department.

Emergency generators then kicked in to give power to the convention center, which at the time had over 5,000 people in it.

Blair says that while firefighters didn't find any problems, in a situation like this their main concern was the fire spreading and an evacuation of thousands of people being needed.

“We searched the facilities; both the basement and the two occupied floors and found that there had been no smoke or fire that entered into the building,” said Blair.

Blair says there have been numerous fires inside utility chases in the city, including blowing man hole covers 40 to 50 feet in the air.

"Through downtown, there are a lot of utility chases that run under the sidewalks, under the streets, and once in a while you'll have a fire in those and the fire can then transmit through the utility chases and then find themselves into a building or something,” said Blair.

He says thankfully that was not the case Friday, and no one was hurt.

Follow Toledo News Now:

Copyright 2015 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.