Street car may have lost operating funds - News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

Streetcar may have lost operating funds

Streetcar construction on Thursday reached downtown's Central Business District. (FOX19) Streetcar construction on Thursday reached downtown's Central Business District. (FOX19)
CINCINNATI (FOX19) -

The Cincinnati streetcar project may be on time and on budget, but federal funding to operate it could be in trouble.

City Councilmember Kevin Flynn, who at one time had been an opponent of the street car, became one of its champions. That was because federal transportation officials promised him that Cincinnati would get a $5 million operating grant for the street car, but now that funding appears to be in doubt.

The OKI regional council of governments gave the transit authority's application for federal funding a poor rating. OKI says the project is not cost effective and not a regional priority

Councilmember Flynn says the game is not over.

"I'm not giving up on the federal government's funding we have a call scheduled this week. We're going to be holding their feet to the fire," says Flynn.

Council is also looking at sources to fund streetcar operations, but not from city coffers, according to Flynn.

"There may be other pots of money within the city that we have to tap as we're going, but the

general operating budget is one that I want to avoid."

Councilmember Christopher Smitherman, a long-time opponent of the project, says the solution is simple.

"They're going to have to stop the project ultimately because they're not going to layoff police

officers, we're not going to layoff firefighters, we're not going to layoff sanitation workers. We're not going to go into our general fund a dime to operate the streetcar so the streetcar should sit there, in my opinion, until the operational dollars are clear."

Smitherman says he's always considered the streetcar to be a bad investment.

"This is a real big wrong decision and the concept that the streetcar supporters had … if we build it they will come is not panning out.

"Even the federal government is doing the moon walk away from $5 million," said Smitherman.

Supporters remain optimistic as gift cards for streetcar rides become available next month.

Copyright 2014 WXIX. All rights reserved.

  • Headlines from Lucas, Wood, Ottawa, Fulton & Monroe CountiesNewsMore>>

  • Former OSU football coach Earle Bruce dies at 87

    Former OSU football coach Earle Bruce dies at 87

    Friday, April 20 2018 8:31 AM EDT2018-04-20 12:31:56 GMT
    Earle Bruce (Source: Bleacher Report)Earle Bruce (Source: Bleacher Report)
    Earle Bruce (Source: Bleacher Report)Earle Bruce (Source: Bleacher Report)

    Former Ohio State Buckeyes coach Earle Bruce passed away Friday morning at the age of 87, according to ESPN.-

    More >>

    Former Ohio State Buckeyes coach Earle Bruce passed away Friday morning at the age of 87, according to ESPN.-

    More >>
  • Dave & Buster's reopens Friday after Lucas Co. Health Department confirms case of Hepatitis A

    Dave & Buster's reopens Friday after Lucas Co. Health Department confirms case of Hepatitis A

    Friday, April 20 2018 6:30 AM EDT2018-04-20 10:30:51 GMT
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)

    A confirmed case of Hepatitis A has been diagnosed to a food handler who works at at Dave and Buster's near the Franklin Park Mall. The Toledo-Lucas County Health Department warns that anyone who consumed any food or drink from the restaurant between March 1 through March 29 has been exposed to the virus and should get tested.  Dave and Busters has set up a phone line for people with questions or concerns at  is 844-344-94-44. Follow WTOL:   Download our app he...

    More >>

    A confirmed case of Hepatitis A has been diagnosed to a food handler who works at at Dave and Buster's near the Franklin Park Mall. The Toledo-Lucas County Health Department warns that anyone who consumed any food or drink from the restaurant between March 1 through March 29 has been exposed to the virus and should get tested.  Dave and Busters has set up a phone line for people with questions or concerns at  is 844-344-94-44. Follow WTOL:   Download our app he...

    More >>
  • Fire destroys north Toledo home

    Fire destroys north Toledo home

    Friday, April 20 2018 6:03 AM EDT2018-04-20 10:03:09 GMT
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)

    The homeowner was at work at the time of the fire. 

    More >>

    The homeowner was at work at the time of the fire. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly