Back to School Breakfast
Quick and Easy Breakfast Ideas
A balanced breakfast should have a good ratio between carbohydrates and protein.
Including protein at breakfast will help you feel fuller longer, leading to healthier eating habits throughout the day, which may also aid in weight loss. Carbohydrates are needed to help fuel the body and supply us with the energy needed for work and play. Try these easy breakfast ideas that combine a combination of nutrient rich foods:
- Belvita or Meijer brand breakfast biscuits and fresh fruit (peach, orange, banana)
- 2 Meijer whole grain waffles topped with a dollop of Greek yogurt, fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey or Meijer Naturals creamy peanut butter
- Blueberry-Maple Overnight Oats (recipe below)
- Meijer Greek Yogurt with 1/4 cup of low fat granola topped with dried fruit or berries
- 1 slice of whole wheat toast topped with mashed avocado, a tomato slice, over easy egg and sprinkled with cracked black pepper
Blueberry Maple Overnight Oats
Makes 1 serving
- 1/4 cup uncooked Meijer old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup Meijer low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1-1/2 tsp. chia seeds or ground flax
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- In a pint jar or plastic container, combine oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds and maple syrup. Stir ingredients until evenly combined.
- Add blueberries and stir until mixed throughout. Place lid on jar and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days and serve chilled.
- If you want to serve warm, just add a splash of milk before microwaving if oats are too thick.
Nutrition Information: 190 calories, 2g fat, 34g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 11g protein
After School Snacks
Children get about 25% of their daily calories from snacks, so plan to have a satisfying snack that is also nutritious. Include at least 2 main food groups in snacks – ideally a protein source like diary, meats or peanut butter and a carbohydrate for energy such as whole grains, fruit or vegetables.
Portion control is important when planning snacks to avoid over-indulging. Pre-portion snacks in individual containers and snack-size Zip-lock bags making snacks easy to grab and go!
Nut Butter Apple Pizza
- Remove apple core and cut apple into 1/2" thick slices (slice crosswise, opposite direction that the apple core runs, to make circle like shapes). Brush with pineapple juice or lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Spread apple slices with 2 Tbsp. peanut butter and sprinkle with Meijer granola and dried cranberries.
Fruit Kabobs with Cheese Cubes
- String different varieties of melon cut into chunks, whole strawberries, chunks of 2% milk cheese (cut into 1" cubes) and pineapple wedges or grapes.
Hummus Mini Pitas with Cucumber
- Slice open mini-pitas, spread with hummus and fill with sliced cucumber. Add additional veggies, such as sliced grape tomatoes, if desired.
- Making Faces: Use mini pitas or small Flat Out bread, spread with hummus to cover, use shredded carrot to create "hair", sliced ripe olives for eyes, cucumber wedges or bell pepper slices for smiles, and a half a cherry tomato for a nose.
Meijer's Ready! For You Program
With your busy back to school schedule, Meijer is Ready! for You with food solutions your family will love!
- The new Ready! For You program offers food solution stations with recipes and ingredients easily available to you to make quick and affordable meals for you and your family – from family dinners, to snacks, to energizing breakfasts on the go
- Meijer's new Ready! For You program starts August 17th with recipes and ingredients changing every other week.
- Look for the Ready! for You banners in store to find convenient and time-saving ideas for all your food solution needs that you can have ready…in no time.
- Ready! For You
- Ready! For Your busy lifestyle – saves time
- Ready! For Your cart – convenient
- Ready! For Your budget – saves money (everyday low price, weekly specials, mPerks)
- We're Ready for You, at Meijer.
- Visit meijer.com/readyforyou
Easy Skillet Lasagna
Prep Time: 20 min Total Time: 25 min
- 8 ounces dry bow tie pasta, uncooked (or try whole wheat)
- 3/4 pound Italian pork sausage (or try lean ground beef, ground chicken breast or ground turkey breast)
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano, undrained
- 1 can (6 oz each) Tomato Paste
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Nutrition tip: you can add more veggies including spinach, sliced mushrooms, bell pepper, zucchini
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage/ground meat in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 7 minutes or until crumbled and no longer pink, stirring occasionally; drain. Add undrained tomatoes and tomato paste; mix well. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Information: 295 calories, 8g fat, 37g carbohydrate,4g fiber, 20g protein
Serve with: bagged salad, whole grain garlic bread and lowfat milk