Taste of Summer
There's nothing better than the taste of fresh fruits and vegetables – summer's bounty! Incorporating summer flavors into healthy and affordable meals is easy with Meijer.
Fish in Parchment with Peaches, Soy, and Jasmine Rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 – 6 ounce fish fillets (such as sea bass, halibut, salmon, or snapper)
- 2 peaches, cut into ¼" slices
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 handful of cilantro
- 4 – 20" long sheets parchment paper
1. Bring water, stock, and salt to a boil in a medium stock pot. Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under water for 10 seconds. Add rice to boiling liquid, reduce to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F. In a small bowl combine sugar, soy, and lime juice and set aside. Divide rice evenly among 4 sheets of paper, mounding in center of each sheet. Top with fish fillet, red onion, chili, peaches, and cilantro. Spoon sauce over fish and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Bring two opposite edges of paper together and roll down until paper touches fish. Roll side edges up until a tight packet is formed and no steam can escape. Place packets on a baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes for thinner fillets and 15 minutes if cooking thicker fish such as sea bass or salmon. Place packets on plates and carefully open to serve.
Nutrition Information: 425 calories, 13g fat, 52g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 30g protein
Recipe Source: Georgia Peach Council
Broccoli with Sesame Recipe
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen broccoli spears
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Meijer Lit Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Cook broccoli according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine oil, soy sauce, sugar and vinegar; heat on medium until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot.
- Drain broccoli; place in a serving bowl. Drizzle with soy sauce mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Nutrition Information: 80 calories, 4g fat, 145mg Sodium, 9g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 2g protein
Recipe Source: Taste of Home
Baked Tomatoes with Quinoa, Corn, and Green Chiles
- 1 can green chiles
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 1 cup rinsed and drained black beans
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large ripe tomatoes (about 4 pounds)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (cook according to package directions)
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 ounces colby-Jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup packed)
Preheat oven to 350° F. Combine quinoa, corn, onion, chiles, oregano, oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, cumin, black pepper, and lime juice.
- Cut tops off tomatoes; set aside. Carefully scoop out tomato pulp, leaving shells intact. Sprinkle tomatoes with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Invert tomatoes on a wire rack; let stand 30 minutes. Dry insides of tomatoes with a paper towel.Click to see savings
- Spoon about 3/4 cup corn mixture into each tomato. Divide cheese evenly among tomatoes. Place tomatoes and tops, if desired, on a jelly-roll pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Preheat broiler. Broil the tomatoes 1 1/2 minutes or until cheese melts. Place tomato tops on tomatoes, if desired.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 320 calories, 11g fat, 46g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 13g protein
Recipe Source: Cooking Light
Cool Strawberry Salsa with Cinnamon Pita Chips
1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup chopped kiwi
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Cinnamon, Ground
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ginger, Ground
- Mix all ingredients in medium bowl until well blended. Cover. Refrigerate 30 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve with Cinnamon Pita Chips
Nutrition Information (per serving): 135 calories, 2g fat, 26g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 3g protein
Recipe Source: www.McCormick.com
National Turkey Lover's Month -
Turkey may be the star of your Thanksgiving dinner table, but this lean protein is too good to have such a limited run. Make it a summer blockbuster! Turkey is low in fat and high in protein. It is a source of iron, zinc, phosphorus, potassium and B vitamins. A serving of turkey is a 2 to 3-ounce cooked portion.
- 1 package (10 ounces) mixed greens
- ½ pound cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 12 ounces Roasted Deli Turkey Breast, cut into 2-X 2-1/2-inch fingers:
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
In large salad bowl combine salad greens, tomatoes, onions and turkey. Cover and chill.
- Make the Creamy Avocado Dressing by blending avocado and garlic in blender or food processor. Add oil, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Process until well blended.
- Gently fold in 1/2 cup of Creamy Avocado Dressing. Toss.
- To serve, garnish with bacon and pass remaining dressing
Nutritional information: 250 Calories, 14g Fat, 15g Carbohydrate, 4g Fiber, 20g Protein
Source: The National Turkey Federation
Chilled Triple Berry Soup
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- ¼ cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon Meijer Organic Maple Syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon McCormick Poppy Seed
- Sliced strawberries (optional)
- Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
Place strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, Greek yogurt, almond milk, maple syrup, and cinnamon in a food processor or blender. Process for 30-45 seconds or until coarsely pureed.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in Poppy Seeds. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Ladle chilled soup into dessert bowls or glasses. Garnish with sliced strawberries and fresh mint.
Nutritional information: 100 Calories, 1.5g Fat, 15g Carbohydrate, 3g Fiber, 6g Protein