It's time to fire up the grill as the weather is heating up. Meijer has easy, affordable, and healthy grilling solutions for you this season. Keep your grill healthy all summer long with these tips:
- Use lean meats. This is better for your heart and can prevent flare ups and burnt meat, which can contain carcinogens.
- Lots of Vegetables. Don't be afraid to try new things. Use skewers, foil, or a grill pan to keep unruly veggies contained.
- Serve those lean meats and veggies with whole grains like whole grain buns, pasta, and rice.
- Grilled fruits are a great treat after dinner without all the sugar and calories of traditional desserts.
Produce for Kids
Support the brands that support local Children's Miracle Network Hospitals®! Look for the Get Healthy, Give Hope campaign at your local Meijer May 25 - June 21. With your support, Meijer stores could reach $1,000,000 raised for children's charities since 2002. Look for these products:
- Bolthouse Farms Carrots and Juices
- Dole Packaged Salads
- Earthbound Farms Organic Packaged Salads
- California Peaches, Plums, and Nectarines
- California Cherries
- Nature Sweet Tomatoes Sunbursts and Glorys Tomatoes
- Green Giant Fresh Klondike Rose and Red Potatoes
- Sunset Tomatoes on the Vine
- Real Sweet Vidalia Onions
- Marzetti Refrigerated Salad Dressing
- Well-Pict Strawberries
Sausage Veggie Grill
1 pound Meijer Chicken Sausage
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium Real Sweet Vidalia onion, cut into wedges
- 1 cup quartered fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the oil, oregano, parsley, garlic salt and paprika. Pour over sausage mixture; toss to coat. Divide between two pieces of heavy-duty foil (about 14 in. x 12 in.). Fold foil around sausage mixture and seal tightly.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 25-30 minutes. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.
- Serve over Meijer Ultimate Pasta.
Nutrition Information: 425 calories, 13g fat, 52g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 30g protein
Recipe adapted from www.TasteofHome.com
Green Smoothie Pops
- 1 medium pear, peeled, cored
- ½ cup pineapple tidbits
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Mixed Baby Kale
- ½ banana, sliced
- Place pear, pineapple, and agave nectar in blender. Blend until smooth. Add kale and banana; blend until smooth.
- Pour liquid into popsicle molds and freeze for 4 hours until solid.
Nutrition Information: 130 calories, 0g fat, 31g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 2g protein
- 1 package McCormick® Grill Mates® Baja Citrus Marinade
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Bolthouse Farms Orange + Carrot juice
- 1 pound Nature Raised Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch wide strips
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into 2-inch wide strips
- 1 small zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Combine Marinade Mix, olive oil and orange juice in small bowl. Place chicken and vegetables in 2 separate large resealable plastic bags. Add 1/2 the marinade to each bag; turn to coat well. Refrigerate 15 minutes. Remove chicken and vegetables from marinade. Discard any remaining marinade.
- Grill vegetables in a grill pan over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until tender-crisp. Grill chicken 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken reach internal temperature of 165 F, turning occasionally.
- Serve chicken and vegetables over Meijer Instant Brown Rice.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 280 calories, 9g fat, 36g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 14g protein
Recipe adapted from www.McCormick.com
Baja Chicken Grilled Pita Pizzas
- 4 Whole Grain Pita Breads
- Leftover Baja Chicken and vegetables
- Olive oil
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- Brush top of pita bread with 1 teaspoon oil. Place oiled-side down on the grill. Close lid. Grill over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes or until grill marks appear on the bottom of the pita bread. Carefully turn pita over using tongs or spatula.
- Layer pita with 1/2 of the cheese, grilled chicken, vegetables, remaining cheese and pineapple. Close lid. Grill 3 to 4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and pita is browned. (Check pizza often to avoid burning. Rotate pizza, if necessary.) Slide pizza onto baking sheet. Slice and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from www.McCormick.com
Nutrition Information (per serving): 385 calories, 15g fat, 43g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 22g protein
Grilled Fish Tacos with Peach Salsa
- Corn tortillas
- Avocado, peeled and sliced thin
- Lime wedges
- 1 ½ cups diced California Peaches
- 1 firm, but ripe avocado, diced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ small jalapeño, minced
- juice of 1 lime, about 3 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds fresh salmon, halibut, catfish, or your favorite fish
- Combine salsa ingredients in a medium bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat. In a small bowl, combine cumin, sugar, and coriander. Brush fish with olive oil and sprinkle with spice mixture. Grill fish on oiled grill grates for 3-5 minutes per side until cooked to your liking. Char tortillas on grill about 10 seconds on each side.
- Serve tacos with avocado slices, fresh salsa and other desired toppings. Sprinkle with lime wedges.
Recipe adapted from Georgia Peach Council
Nutrition Information (per serving): 380 calories, 12g fat, 35g carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 35g protein