Dramatic video shows confrontation between police and family - News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH


Dramatic video shows confrontation between police and family of missing girl


KCTV5 has dramatic video of a confrontation between Kansas City police and the family of a girl reported missing.

In the aftermath, police arrested two members of the missing girl's family.

The girl was found safe, but it's what happened afterwards that led to the chaos captured on film.

Kansas City police were looking for 12-year-old Naomi Lizbeth Hidalgo-Garcia about 10:30 p.m. Wednesday. Her family said she went out to get something from the car about 9 p.m. in the 2300 block of Quincy and didn't come back.

Family members and friends of the missing girl later rushed to a nearby apartment complex they believed she was in. Police quickly tried to control the situation and cell phone video shows their frustration.

"I've had problems with you all day. I'm sick of dealing with you," shouts one cop as others try to hold back the rowdy group.

"She was crying. We didn't know if they were holding her or anything," said Cynthia Najera, a family friend.

The next day the family is still trying to figure out what happened. The mom suffering a broken wrist and a broken toe, she says was caused when police pushed her to the ground.

"I was trying to tell him, ‘I am the mother of this girl, she's my daughter' but he threw me with all his strength to the floor," said the mother, Lluvia Murrilla, through an interpreter.

Albert Hidalgo, Murrilla's son and the girl's brother, said he tried to explain to police that she was the mom, but they pepper sprayed him and arrested both.

"We're supposed to be helped, not injured. That's what they did to us, they didn't help us at all," Hidalgo said.

The family said they are very grateful their daughter was found safe. They said they just don't understand why police seemed to be intruding, instead of helping, and they have no idea how the mom and brother ended up in jail.

"Nobody hurt any officer there and yet they went to the hospital to tell her she was under arrest," Murrilla said.

There were close to 35 family members and friends surrounding police Wednesday night. The department issuing a statement explaining what happened:

"Family located the child at an apt. complex and caused a large disturbance. When officers attempted to calm the situation several family members became disorderly and refused to obey the officer's orders to disperse. A female (injured arm) was arrested for assaulting an officer and a couple others were arrested for disorderly contact. This after the child admitted to running away."

"It was a crazy night, we're still trying to find out what happened," Hidalgo said.

The 12-year-old is home with her family. They're still trying to determine why she wandered off for more than three hours.

The mother and brother bonded out of jail Thursday morning.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly