Man sobs after admits to driving drunk, killing MODOT worker - News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

Attorney sobs after admitting to driving drunk, killing MODOT worker

Clifton Scott and his son Clifton Scott and his son

An attorney told a judge Friday afternoon that he was driving drunk when he plowed into a highway truck and killed a motorist assist operator.

A Jackson County judge will sentence Blue Springs attorney David Murdick on March 7. Prosecutors have not worked out a plea deal with Murdick.

A stretch of Interstate 70 near Lee's Summit Road is now named in honor of Clifton Scott who died on Sept. 21, 2012.

Clifton Scott, a Missouri Department of Transportation employee, was part of a crew that had shut down traffic and was redirecting it off I-70 at Lee's Summit Road due to a crash further east on the highway. Murdick, an attorney, was speeding when he plowed into Scott. Clifton Scott's work truck burst into flames, burning Scott who had one of his legs severed by the impact. Witnesses described hearing his harrowing screams.

Uric's blood-alcohol content was .184 when it was tested at a hospital where he was taken for his injuries, according to court documents.

Scott's family said that the guilty plea will not bring their loved one back, but they were glad to see Murdick admit his responsibility.

Murdick displayed little emotion while addressing the judge but sobbed at the defense table after he made his plea.

He pleaded guilty to a single count of first-degree involuntary manslaughter. Murdick faces five to 15 years in prison.

Monique Banks, who was planning to marry Scott at the time of his death, said she hopes that Murdick gets the maximum sentence. She said it is difficult without Scott, especially at 7:30 every night when she would normally wake him up so he could get ready for his overnight shift.

"It's not going to go away," she said. "I can't believe he's gone. . .  I just get up and ask God to give me strength."

She said it was difficult that getting a guilty plea took so many months.

"I'm glad he finally came to his senses and said he was guilty," she said.

Watch KCTV5 News at 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. for more on Murdick's court appearance.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly