Diabetes-Friendly Thanksgiving Recipes from the Meijer Stores
Basil Garlic Green Beans
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic and Basil Seasoning
- Cook beans in boiling water 7 minutes or until desired doneness. Drain well; return to saucepan.
- Toss green beans with butter and Seasoning until well coated.
Optional toppings: parmesan cheese, fried onions, toasted nuts
Traditional Green Bean Casserole: Calories 150, Fat 8g, Carbohydrate 17g, Fiber 3g, Protein 0g
Tangerine Cranberry Relish
Makes about 12 servings
- 1 12oz package of fresh cranberries
- 2 medium tangerines
- ¼ cup sugar or sugar substitute equivalent
- Rinse cranberries and discard any soft or old berries; set aside. Slice each unpeeled tangerine into fifths; remove seeds. Place tangerine slices into a food processor; cover and process until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add all but ½ cup of the cranberries to the food processor; cover and process until coarsely chopped. Add to bowl with tangerines; stir in remaining ½ cup cranberries.
- Stir in sugar or sweetener; cover and chill for 1 hour. Stir before serving.
Recipe source: Diabetic Living, 2013.
Nutrition Information (per serving): Calories 20, Fat 0g, Carbohydrate 5g, Fiber 2g, Protein 0g
Traditional Cranberry Orange Relish: Calories 100, Fat 0g, Carbohydrate 27g, Fiber 0g, Protein 0g
- 1 package (4 serving size) sugar-free fat-free instant pudding mix
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. McCormick Cinnamon
- ½ tsp. McCormick Ginger, ground
- 1 ½ cups Light Whipped Topping
- Mix pudding mix, cinnamon, and ginger in large bowl.
- Add milk and pumpkin. Whisk for 2 minutes until blended.
- Gently stir in 1 cup of whipped topping.
- Spoon into 6 dessert glasses
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Top each dessert with remaining whipped topping.
Optional toppings: chopped nuts, crushed ginger snaps, nutmeg
Nutrition Information (per serving): Calories 98, Fat 3g, Carbohydrate 13g, Fiber 1g, Protein 2g