Bond set at $40K for 911 operator accused of mishandling 45 call - News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

Bond set at $40K for 911 operator accused of mishandling 45 calls

Dezerea Shelton (Source: CCDC) Dezerea Shelton (Source: CCDC)
Shelton appears in bond court. Shelton appears in bond court.
CHARLESTON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) -

A judge set bond at $40,000 Tuesday for the 911 operator accused of botching 45 calls over the last few months at the Charleston County Consolidated Dispatch Center.

Charleston County Sheriff's Major Jim Brady said deputies arrested 27-year-old Dezerea Shelton, of Hanahan, around 10 a.m. Tuesday and charged her with obstruction of justice and misconduct in office. 

She was granted a $40,000 bond on the charges during a 2 p.m. hearing.

Brady said investigators found that Shelton improperly handled 45 calls made to the 911 center between Jan. 8 and Aug. 25 this year.  The sheriff's office says Shelton either failed to enter information for the calls, or deleted information.  Furthermore, the calls were not passed on for dispatching, according to investigators.

Of those calls, Brady said one of them was a call for medical service and the others were request for law enforcement assistance in North Charleston, Mt. Pleasant, and other unincorporated areas in the county.  Brady said those agencies were notified of the issues and follow-ups with callers affected were initiated.

In one such instance, a Mt. Pleasant resident said she was watching a group of kids jumping fences and going house to house with a flashlight near Cummings Circle. The kids then got into a car and drove away. The caller said the neighborhood recently experienced a string of break-ins.  After hanging up, the same person called back later and told the dispatcher the car returned with the kids.

The dispatcher is then heard telling the caller she would reopen the previous call.

Jim Lake, the Charleston County 911 Center Director, says he doesn't want the public to lose trust in the county's ability to handle emergencies.

"We don't take an oath of office, however, we have a code of ethics, and our code of ethics prompts us, requires us, our mission, our job is to answer 911 calls and send the appropriate services to answer those calls for help. This was not done. That's a violation of our basic standards and codes."

No other 911 employees were found to have been involved, according to Brady.  The investigation began on Aug. 28, at the behest of Charleston County Government. A press release states county officials requested the sheriff's office to investigate after being informed of complaints that Shelton improperly handled calls for service.

According to county officials, no personal injuries have been reported as a result of Shelton's actions, and the county has increased the level of internal reviews for 911 calls.

"Emergency call taking is one of the most critical operations of county government," Charleston County Administrator Kurt Taylor said. "It is crucial that the public have confidence that when they call for help, it will be sent immediately. I will not tolerate any employee's failure to perform duties that could affect public safety. We have a great 9-1-1 team with outstanding leadership and training. It is unfortunate that this individual failed to do her job."

"Although all calls have been stored for potential review, we have added end-of-shift reports that would more immediately show blank incidents. Each shift supervisor is now reviewing these reports at the end of their shift on a daily basis," said Lake. "Also, we will be conducting our random audits more frequently."

Investigators say Shelton has no criminal record.

"We've not been provided a reason why she did what she did," said Brady.

Shelton had been working at the dispatch center for less than two years, and had not been on duty since the beginning of the investigation.  County officials say Shelton was hired in September of 2011 and released from county employment on Sept. 5.

The dispatch center handles approximately 2,200 calls per day.

Copyright 2013 WCSC.  All rights reserved.

  • Headlines from Lucas, Wood, Ottawa, Fulton & Monroe CountiesNewsMore>>

  • Distracted Driving Awareness month reminds drivers to pay attention behind the wheel

    Distracted Driving Awareness month reminds drivers to pay attention behind the wheel

    Wednesday, April 25 2018 4:24 AM EDT2018-04-25 08:24:30 GMT
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)

    BYLINE: Victoria Idoni EAST TOLEDO, OH (WTOL) - This is an all too familiar scene on the roads: people getting distracted behind the wheel. April is National Distracted Driving Awareness Month. One month out of the year is certainly not enough to observe safer driving habits. This is something we should always keep in mind. The good news is, there are ways in which our changing culture is evolving to deal with technology and how it can both hel...

    More >>

    v\* {behaviorurl(#default#VML);} o\* {behaviorurl(#default#VML);} w\* {behaviorurl(#default#VML);} .shape {behaviorurl(#default#VML);} BYLINE Victoria Idoni EAST TOLEDO, OH (WTOL) - This is an all too familiar scene on the roads people getting distracted behind the wheel. April is National

    More >>
  • West Toledo business owner receives backlash for past derogatory social media posts towards Muslims

    West Toledo business owner receives backlash for past derogatory social media posts towards Muslims

    Tuesday, April 24 2018 11:38 PM EDT2018-04-25 03:38:28 GMT
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)

    Facebook posts from more than a year ago caused controversy at a west Toledo business Tuesday night. While a community group won't stand for the derogatory comments made, the business owners feel the group's outrage has crossed the line.  The posts from Twin Oak Lanes owner Jeff Kuhnle that were made in 2016 and 2017 are now haunting him. The posts use derogatory and racially insensitive comments about Muslims.  "First of all as a Muslim woman living in America ...

    More >>

    Facebook posts from more than a year ago caused controversy at a west Toledo business Tuesday night. While a community group won't stand for the derogatory comments made, the business owners feel the group's outrage has crossed the line.  The posts from Twin Oak Lanes owner Jeff Kuhnle that were made in 2016 and 2017 are now haunting him. The posts use derogatory and racially insensitive comments about Muslims.  "First of all as a Muslim woman living in America ...

    More >>
  • Man, woman sent to hospital after central Toledo shooting

    Man, woman sent to hospital after central Toledo shooting

    Tuesday, April 24 2018 11:25 PM EDT2018-04-25 03:25:47 GMT
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)

    Toledo police are investigating a central Toledo shooting that resulted in a man and woman being taken to a local hospital.  Police were called to 2108 Elliot Avenue near Bancroft Street and Central Avenue Tuesday night around 9:30 p.m. Both victims' injuries are unknown. There is no word on the shooter. Stay with WTOL 11 as we update this story on-air and online Follow WTOL:   Download our app here.  Copyright 2018 WTOL. All rights reserved.

    More >>

    Toledo police are investigating a central Toledo shooting that resulted in a man and woman being taken to a local hospital.  Police were called to 2108 Elliot Avenue near Bancroft Street and Central Avenue Tuesday night around 9:30 p.m. Both victims' injuries are unknown. There is no word on the shooter. Stay with WTOL 11 as we update this story on-air and online Follow WTOL:   Download our app here.  Copyright 2018 WTOL. All rights reserved.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly