Louisiana sinkhole swallows more trees - News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

Louisiana sinkhole swallows more trees

Aerial image August 2, 2013 (Source: Assumption Parish OEP) Aerial image August 2, 2013 (Source: Assumption Parish OEP)
Trees being swallowed by giant Louisiana sinkhole on August 18, 2013 (Source: Assumption Parish OEP) Trees being swallowed by giant Louisiana sinkhole on August 18, 2013 (Source: Assumption Parish OEP)
BAYOU CORNE, LA (WAFB) -

Several more trees were swallowed by the Bayou Corne sinkhole Monday, suspending work at the site. This comes less than a week since the last slough-in. This just adds to the size of the now more than 24 acre sinkhole.

The sinkhole opened up in August 2012 and was roughly 1/24 of the size it is now. The sinkhole formed when an underground salt cavern collapsed.

The Assumption Parish Police Jury released a video last week of the two slough-ins that happened August 21 and August 22. A large area of trees were swallowed whole and the entire event was caught on camera.

Officials set sinkhole activity at code three, the highest alert level.  No work will be allowed on the sinkhole or within containment berms, though no elevated levels of seismic activity have been detected since last weeks' slough-in.

Monday's sinking occurred along the eastern edge of the sinkhole and is believed to be related to trees sinking in the sinkhole last week.

Usually a slough-in occurs after the sinkhole burps. Burps occur when air and gas from deep in the sinkhole bubbles up. It can cause debris and an oily substance to float to the top.

It has been a year since hundreds living near the giant sinkhole were forced from their homes.

Bubbles were spotted in Bayou Corne and Grand Bayou in June 2012. Two months later, the ground opened up and left what is now a 24-acre sinkhole. Residents were evacuated and the most affected residents began receiving weekly checks from Texas-Brine in the amount of $875 per week. Texas Brine owns the salt cavern that collapsed, causing the sinkhole.

On August 2, Gov. Bobby Jindal and Attorney General Buddy Caldwell announced the state will be suing Texas Brine for environmental damages caused by the failed Texas Brine cavern.

On August 18, about 25 trees were swallowed by the sinkhole in an area measured at 50' x 25'.

Parish and Texas Brine officials agree the situation is far from over. 3D seismic surveys show the sinkhole itself it beginning to slow and stabilize, but the recovery is focused on another danger; natural gas gathering underneath a nearby aquifer.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.

 

  • Headlines from Lucas, Wood, Ottawa, Fulton & Monroe CountiesNewsMore>>

  • Four indicted in connection to death of newborn

    Four indicted in connection to death of newborn

    Wednesday, April 25 2018 11:30 PM EDT2018-04-26 03:30:08 GMT
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)

    110 Clean false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE ...

    More >>

    110 Clean false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

    More >>
  • TPD find body in central Toledo

    TPD find body in central Toledo

    Wednesday, April 25 2018 11:11 PM EDT2018-04-26 03:11:46 GMT
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)
    Toledo Police are investigating a homicide after a body was found in central Toledo Wednesday afternoon. TPD said 25-year-old Delaghno Overton was found not far from the railroad tracks near Maplewood Avenue and Castle Boulevard around 2:30 p.m.  Crews say Overton was shot.  Follow WTOL:   Download our app here.  Copyright 2018 WTOL. All rights reserved.More >>
    Toledo Police are investigating a homicide after a body was found in central Toledo Wednesday afternoon. TPD said 25-year-old Delaghno Overton was found not far from the railroad tracks near Maplewood Avenue and Castle Boulevard around 2:30 p.m.  Crews say Overton was shot.  Follow WTOL:   Download our app here.  Copyright 2018 WTOL. All rights reserved.More >>
  • Report: ProMedica acquires HCR Manor Care

    Report: ProMedica acquires HCR Manor Care

    Wednesday, April 25 2018 8:55 PM EDT2018-04-26 00:55:04 GMT
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)
    ProMedica does not seem to be slowing down its buying spree. Reuters reported that ProMedica is acquiring HCR Manor Care. According to Reuters, ProMedica is teaming up with Welltower which is a Toledo based real estate trust. The two are proposing a purchase of bankrupt HCR for $2 billion. ProMedica has not made a comment on the report.  Follow WTOL:   Download our app here.  Copyright 2018 WTOL. All rights reserved.More >>
    ProMedica does not seem to be slowing down its buying spree. Reuters reported that ProMedica is acquiring HCR Manor Care. According to Reuters, ProMedica is teaming up with Welltower which is a Toledo based real estate trust. The two are proposing a purchase of bankrupt HCR for $2 billion. ProMedica has not made a comment on the report.  Follow WTOL:   Download our app here.  Copyright 2018 WTOL. All rights reserved.More >>
Powered by Frankly