Seafood---the original, and healthy, fast food! Enjoy this super simple and super quick healthy meal for under $10 for a family of four.
Grilled Shrimp Wraps
Makes: 4 servings
¾ cup Meijer light sour cream
1½ tsp. lime zest, divided
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice, divided
1 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
1 lb. Meijer frozen ready to cook medium shrimp (already peeled and deveined), thawed (NuVal® Score 75)
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 Tortillas, warmed
1 cup each finely shredded locally grown red cabbage and Napa cabbage (NuVal® Score 100)
Salsa verde (optional)
1. Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium (300°F to 350°F). For the sauce, in a small bowl whisk together sour cream, 1 teaspoon of the lime zest, 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, plus cilantro. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. In a medium bowl combine shrimp, garlic, remaining ½ teaspoon lime zest, remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste; toss. Thread shrimp onto 5 (10-inch) skewers.* Grill 3 to 5 minutes per side or just until shrimp turn pink.
3. Place shrimp evenly in tortillas. Top with cabbage, and drizzle with sauce. If desired, serve with salsa verde.
* If using wooden skewers, soak at least 30 minutes before grilling to prevent burning.
Source: Recipe adapted from the Meijer Taste of Summer booklet on meijermealbox.com.
Tip: You could also make a taco bar with different cabbages and salsas for your family.
Grilled Summer Vegetable Spectacle
Use locally grown produce from Meijer in this easy and delicious summer recipe!
Makes: 6 servings
1 medium zucchini, sliced ½-inch thick on the diagonal
1 medium yellow squash, sliced ½-inch thick on the diagonal
1 medium unpeeled eggplant, sliced ½-inch thick
2 medium red or yellow bell peppers, sliced into ½-inch thick rings
2 tomatoes, quartered
½ cup Meijer extra virgin olive oil, divided
½ cup Meijer balsamic vinegar, divided
1 tsp. McCormick Gourmet Collection Italian Seasoning
¼ cup minced fresh parsley
In a large bowl, combine zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, bell pepper and tomatoes. Drizzle with half of the oil and vinegar; toss to combine. Add Italian seasoning, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste; toss to combine. Let vegetables stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat grill to medium-high (350 F to 400 F). Place vegetables directly on grill rack or in a grilling basket. Grill 3 to 4 minutes per side or until tender and lightly charred. Arrange vegetables on a platter. Drizzle with remaining oil and vinegar, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.
Source: Recipe adapted from July/August Meijer Healthy Living Naturally booklet.
Mid-summer brings to life peak flavors of Michigan grown produce. Enjoy crisp locally grown greens in hearty entrée salads. Sink your teeth into ears of Michigan grown sweet corn. The tastes of summer don't get better than this!
Lemony Chicken and Local Greens Salad
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1/2 tsp. yellow mustard
2 tbsp. Meijer Classic Olive Oil
8 cups Locally Grown Red and Green Leaf Lettuce
1/2 medium red onion, sliced
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1 pound Grilled Chicken Strips (or Tyson Grilled & Ready Chicken Breast Strips)
1/4 cup shredded or shaved Parmesan cheese
- For the dressing, in a small bowl combine lemon juice, lemon zest, mustard and oil.
- In a large bowl combine salad greens, walnuts and onion.
- Drizzle greens with dressing; toss lightly to coat.
- Place salad on 4 serving plates. Place chicken breast strips on top of each salad.
- Top evenly with Parmesan cheese, and serve.
Locally grown Bi-color sweet corn