Workers chill out at ice company - Toledo News Now, News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

Workers chill out at ice company

GREENFIELD, MA (WSHM) -

While many people struggled with the latest heat wave, workers at Summit Ice Inc. in Greenfield were chilling out.

Owner Marcus Stetson said he employees more than a dozen people during the busy summer months. July is typically the busiest month, and makes up about one third of total business for the year.

While the heat index was over one hundred degrees Friday, employees worked in a room that was kept between 40 and 45 degrees. The various bags of ice they sell were stored in a large room kept at 15 degrees. Employee Daniel Kempf started last week, just before the latest heat wave. He said he likes working in the cold, because he doesn't want to have to worry about sweating and heat exhaustion.

Summit Ice supplies bagged ice in various sizes for several small and large retailers across western Massachusetts, including WalMart and CVS. They also make 300 pound, crystal clear blocks for ice sculptors.

Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Daredevil plunges to his death after climbing 62-story building

    Daredevil plunges to his death after climbing 62-story building

    Tuesday, December 12 2017 7:27 AM EST2017-12-12 12:27:29 GMT
    This photo shows the Changsha city skyline. (Credit: Tim Zachernuk, Flickr)This photo shows the Changsha city skyline. (Credit: Tim Zachernuk, Flickr)

    A popular Chinese daredevil died while performing a dramatic stunt on top of a 62-story building, BBC News reports. 

    More >>

    A popular Chinese daredevil died while performing a dramatic stunt on top of a 62-story building, BBC News reports. 

    More >>
  • Woman burns her house down trying to kill bedbugs

    Woman burns her house down trying to kill bedbugs

    Tuesday, December 12 2017 7:27 AM EST2017-12-12 12:27:45 GMT
    The fire heavily damaged a five-unit building and sent three people to a hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. (Credit: Facebook, Kamaron Cvb Lyshe-Berry)The fire heavily damaged a five-unit building and sent three people to a hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. (Credit: Facebook, Kamaron Cvb Lyshe-Berry)

    Authorities say that three people have been injured and 10 people left homeless after a woman accidentally started a fire while trying to kill bed bugs with rubbing alcohol at a multi-family home in Cincinnati. 

    More >>

    Authorities say that three people have been injured and 10 people left homeless after a woman accidentally started a fire while trying to kill bed bugs with rubbing alcohol at a multi-family home in Cincinnati. 

    More >>
  • Girl has blunt message for Aetna after her brain surgery request was denied

    Girl has blunt message for Aetna after her brain surgery request was denied

    Monday, December 11 2017 4:34 AM EST2017-12-11 09:34:58 GMT
    Cara Pressman sobbed in the big red chair in her living room. The 15-year-old tried to absorb the devastating news relayed by her parents: that their insurance company, Aetna, denied her for a minimally invasive...More >>
    Cara Pressman sobbed in the big red chair in her living room. The 15-year-old tried to absorb the devastating news relayed by her parents: that their insurance company, Aetna, denied her for a minimally invasive brain...More >>
Powered by Frankly