Palmer residents eager to see Mohegan Sun traffic plans - Toledo News Now, News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

Palmer residents eager to see Mohegan Sun traffic plans

PALMER, MA (WSHM) -

Mohegan Sun's much-anticipated traffic plans are going to be revealed to the public for the first time Wednesday.

It's a relief for Palmer town councilors and residents who have been eager to see traffic plans from the casino company for years.

"The biggest issue in most people's minds is traffic ... let's make sure the people have a chance to look at the plans and understand what those plans are," said Palmer Town Councilor Paul Burns, who has been a supporter of Mohegan Sun.

Mohegan officials have not gone into detail on their traffic plans, but they do have three separate proposals to mitigate traffic off the MassPike and Route 32, one being a full flyover from the pike to their casino grounds.

Mohegan Sun officials sent a statement to CBS 3 Springfield saying:

"We appreciate the Town Council's interest and look forward to sharing the traffic plans discussed during last week's meeting, which the Mass. Department of Transportation is currently reviewing. We are confident each offers an excellent solution and provides significant improvements to the intersection of Route 32 and the Mass Pike. We look forward to Mass DOT's decision and to building the best solution."

Burns says once traffic plans are laid out, the town can continue to work towards completing negotiations with the casino company.

"We have a couple issues surrounding traffic, we have a couple issues surrounding the fact that it's taking longer than most communities to do a host community agreement. But if you want to do this right, it's better to take some time up front, and maybe we have the last referendum."

Those plans will be made public Wednesday morning. They can be viewed on www.cbs3springfield.com.

Mohegan Sun is competing against MGM and Hard Rock for the only Western Mass casino license.

Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 5-Alarm fire destroys Sandisfield Highway Department

    5-Alarm fire destroys Sandisfield Highway Department

    Sunday, December 10 2017 10:54 AM EST2017-12-10 15:54:46 GMT
    Sunday, December 10 2017 6:47 PM EST2017-12-10 23:47:33 GMT
    (Western Mass News photos)(Western Mass News photos)

    The town of Sandisfield has asked surrounding communities for help as another winter storm is on the way.

    More >>

    The town of Sandisfield has asked surrounding communities for help as another winter storm is on the way.

    More >>
  • NYC explosion: Man detonates pipe bomb in 'attempted terrorist attack,' officials say

    NYC explosion: Man detonates pipe bomb in 'attempted terrorist attack,' officials say

    Monday, December 11 2017 2:16 PM EST2017-12-11 19:16:01 GMT
    This photo from a 2011 drivers license shows Akayed Ullah, the suspect in the explosion near New York's Times Square on Monday, Dec. 11, 2017. (New York Department of Motor Vehicles via AP)This photo from a 2011 drivers license shows Akayed Ullah, the suspect in the explosion near New York's Times Square on Monday, Dec. 11, 2017. (New York Department of Motor Vehicles via AP)

     A man wearing a homemade pipe bomb detonated his explosive in a walkway at the Port Authority Bus Terminal near Times Square on Monday, injuring three people and causing chaos.

    More >>

     A man wearing a homemade pipe bomb detonated his explosive in a walkway at the Port Authority Bus Terminal near Times Square on Monday, injuring three people and causing chaos.

    More >>
  • Mario Batali steps down after sexual misconduct allegations

    Mario Batali steps down after sexual misconduct allegations

    Monday, December 11 2017 10:33 AM EST2017-12-11 15:33:02 GMT
    Monday, December 11 2017 4:13 PM EST2017-12-11 21:13:38 GMT

    Celebrity chef Mario Batali, facing sexual misconduct allegations, steps away from daily operations at his restaurant empire.

    More >>

    Celebrity chef Mario Batali, facing sexual misconduct allegations, steps away from daily operations at his restaurant empire.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly