3-story apartment building fire on South Main Street in Adrian - Toledo News Now, News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

24 residents displaced in Adrian apartment fire

Top floor and part of roof damaged in apartment fire Top floor and part of roof damaged in apartment fire
Firefighters put out flames on top floor Firefighters put out flames on top floor
Leaking fire hydrant causes delay in roads reopening around South Main Street Leaking fire hydrant causes delay in roads reopening around South Main Street
ADRIAN, MI (Toledo News Now) -

A three-story apartment building caught fire early Tuesday morning on the 100 block of South Main Street in Adrian, MI, forcing residents out of their homes.

Multiple fire departments were called to the Cornerstone Apartments just before 3 a.m. to help fight the blaze. Fire crews tell WTOL 11, the fire may have started on a top-floor apartment by a tenant who fell asleep while cooking. An investigation is currently under way.
A total of 24 residents in the 38-unit apartment building are now displaced. While the fire was contained to the top floor, the whole building was damaged by smoke and water. Much of the roof was burned.
Fire crews say residents will not be allowed to live in the apartment building for three weeks. People were allowed to go back inside to get their belongings only with assistance. Many resident are waiting at the Salvation Army down the street for Red Cross assistance.
Adam Robinson looks at what's left of his apartment horrified. He's lived there for the past three years. Now he doesn't know if and when he will be able to return.

"I'm sitting here thinking, 'Am I going to have a place to live? What's gonna happen? How bad is this gonna get?'" said Robinson.

Firefighters were able to get everyone out of the building safely. Only one person was taken to the hospital with an irregular heart rhythm. 

Robinson says it's miracle everyone got out safely because there's no fire alarms anywhere inside the building. The task of warning everyone fell to neighbors, who banged on doors warning residents to get out.

The apartment manager is crediting one of his tenants for saving his life.

"I was scared to death. I was, like, in a daze. I had three people knocking on my door telling me there's a fire and I'm just standing there. They told me about three times, 'Terry there's seriously a fire,'" said Terry Boss.

For the next three days, the Red Cross will provide shelter for the families that no longer have a place to call home. Robinson says he has no idea where he'll stay after that.

"We'll get housed for the next three days, but I don't know if there's a shelter around here," he said.

South Main Street from Maumee to Winter, was closed. Church Street from Winter to Main, was closed due to a leaking fire hydrant.

The fire is out, but crews remained on the scene for part of Tuesday to make sure the flames did not reignite.

Mobile users, click on the "Video" button in the app to watch this story. Download our app here.

Copyright 2013 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly