Former DA Roger takes stand in OJ hearing - News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

Former DA Roger takes stand in OJ hearing

A graying O.J. Simpson jots down notes during the first day of his bid for a retrial in his 2008 conviction. (May 13, 2013/FOX5) A graying O.J. Simpson jots down notes during the first day of his bid for a retrial in his 2008 conviction. (May 13, 2013/FOX5)
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

O.J. Simpson is back in a Las Vegas courtroom as his quest for a new trial continues.

On Tuesday, the judge heard from David Roger, the former Clark County district attorney who prosecuted Simpson's armed robbery trial.

Simpson sat quietly in the courtroom, listening intently as the latest round of witnesses took turns on the stand.

Simpson was again wearing his blue prison outfit, but this time the judge allowed one of his hands to be unshackled.

Gabriel Grasso, one of the attorneys who defended Simpson in 2008, continued his testimony on Tuesday, decrying the audio tape evidence used in that trial.

Grasso told the courtroom that at the time he went along with lead attorney Yale Galanter, because that's what Simpson wanted.

"He didn't think Mr. Galanter was trying to do anything wrong, or I don't think O.J. had the kind of feelings that he was being given bad advice. If Galanter said this is the way it should be, O.J. deferred to that," Grasso said.

Earlier in his testimony, Grasso said he wanted Simpson to testify, but that Galanter advised against it.

Simpson is serving between nine and 33 years in prison and is requesting a new trial because he feels he was misrepresented.

The man who prosecuted Simpson in 2008 found himself explaining what kind of deal was offered to Simpson in exchange for a plea.

"I wouldn't call them negotiations. We had a brief discussion up in my office," Roger said.

Roger said there were two conversations, and during the trial he asked Galanter if Simpson would be willing to accept 30 months. Roger said Galanter made a counter-offer, which he declined.

"Mr. Galanter came back and says he'll do no more than 12 months, so that indicated to me that he had a conversation with Mr. Simpson," Roger continued.

Simpson has claimed he was never aware of a plea deal and that Galanter told him it was OK to go to a Las Vegas hotel room to get his property.

Simpson is expected to take the stand on Wednesday.

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Headlines from Lucas, Wood, Ottawa, Fulton & Monroe CountiesNewsMore>>

  • Woman suing Insane Clown Posse after being injured by bottle of Faygo

    Woman suing Insane Clown Posse after being injured by bottle of Faygo

    Friday, April 20 2018 8:12 PM EDT2018-04-21 00:12:26 GMT
    (Source: Faygo)(Source: Faygo)

    Andrea Walker attended the concert about 3 years ago at Headliners in north Toledo. Walker is now seeking several hundred-thousand dollars in damages after she claims a bottle of Faygo was hurled at her during the concert. 

    More >>

    Andrea Walker attended the concert about 3 years ago at Headliners in north Toledo. Walker is now seeking several hundred-thousand dollars in damages after she claims a bottle of Faygo was hurled at her during the concert. 

    More >>
  • Dave & Buster's reopens Friday after Lucas Co. Health Department confirms case of Hepatitis A

    Dave & Buster's reopens Friday after Lucas Co. Health Department confirms case of Hepatitis A

    Friday, April 20 2018 8:05 PM EDT2018-04-21 00:05:24 GMT
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)

    A confirmed case of Hepatitis A has been diagnosed to a food handler who works at at Dave and Buster's near the Franklin Park Mall. The Toledo-Lucas County Health Department warns that anyone who consumed any food or drink from the restaurant between March 1 through March 29 has been exposed to the virus and should get tested.  Dave and Busters has set up a phone line for people with questions or concerns at  is 844-344-94-44. Follow WTOL:   Download our app he...

    More >>

    A confirmed case of Hepatitis A has been diagnosed to a food handler who works at at Dave and Buster's near the Franklin Park Mall. The Toledo-Lucas County Health Department warns that anyone who consumed any food or drink from the restaurant between March 1 through March 29 has been exposed to the virus and should get tested.  Dave and Busters has set up a phone line for people with questions or concerns at  is 844-344-94-44. Follow WTOL:   Download our app he...

    More >>
  • The 42nd Annual Glass City Marathon is Sunday

    The 42nd Annual Glass City Marathon is Sunday

    Friday, April 20 2018 7:22 PM EDT2018-04-20 23:22:05 GMT
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)
    Toledo is just two days away from thousands of runners taking over the streets. The 42nd Annual Glass City Marathon takes off Sunday morning.  More than 9,000 runners have already registered but there's still spots available to sign up at the expo Friday and Saturday.   "It's grown bigger and bigger and people are coming from farther and farther away. Or they used to live in Toledo and they moved out, but they travel back," said Priscilla Timmons. She hersel...More >>
    Toledo is just two days away from thousands of runners taking over the streets. The 42nd Annual Glass City Marathon takes off Sunday morning.  More than 9,000 runners have already registered but there's still spots available to sign up at the expo Friday and Saturday.   "It's grown bigger and bigger and people are coming from farther and farther away. Or they used to live in Toledo and they moved out, but they travel back," said Priscilla Timmons. She hersel...More >>
Powered by Frankly