Cleanup continues six months after Sandy - News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

Cleanup continues six months after Sandy


Six months since Superstorm Sandy hit Connecticut's shores and tore down a number of homes in Milford this past November, the cleanup efforts continued Monday. 

Crooked porches, hanging roofs and busted-up siding are just some of the problems facing homeowners in the city.

Eyewitness News reported on a home that had its side completely ripped off and now, six months later, the home is an empty lot.

People who live in this hard-hit section of the city said this summer will be different.

"They won't be able to come back this summer," said Olive Harbor of Milford. "I don't know when they'll be able to come back."

Mayor Ben Blake said the will of the residents has been immeasurable but the work completion is months away.

 "We probably have at least a year to go to go to get everyone back in their home some people may not be able to return there," Blake said.

In Milford alone, about 250 homes have to be raised to the new federal standards because they were more than 50 percent destroyed.

There is some federal money coming in to help. Connecticut received $220 million and just received the first installment of $71 million. There will be three installments of the money.

The first one for Sandy victims. The second for non-Sandy victims such as victims of Hurricane Irene and winter Storm Alfred. The final installment will help cities and towns pay for mitigation projects to help prevent future damage.

However for some residents, the damage is taking a toll emotionally.

"I'm sad. I'm sad for my friends and neighbors," Harbor said.

Milford has a long-term recovery task force in place to help connect people with resources.   There is a workshop for owners at City Hall on Thursday at 6 p.m. Something they've been doing regularly to help people with the overwhelming process.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly