Admitted Chardon gunman expected to plead guilty - News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

Admitted Chardon gunman expected to plead guilty

TJ Lane TJ Lane
GEAUGA COUNTY, OH (WOIO) -

Admitted Chardon shooter TJ Lane is expected to change his plea during a hearing this morning.

Lane had previously pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity.

The 18-year old Chardon High School student is charged with three counts of aggravated murder, two counts of attempted aggravated murder and one count of felonious assault.

Prosecutors say on Feb. 27, 2012,Lane entered the cafeteria at Chardon High School and opened fire. 

17-year-old Russell King, Jr., 16-year-old Daniel Parmertor and 16-year-old Demetrius Hewlin were killed in the shooting. 17-year-old Nick Walczak remains paralyzed from the waist down. 18-year-old Joy Rickers and a 6th, unidentified victim were treated and released from the hospital.

Lane was recorded in a police cruiser after he was picked up and read his rights saying, "I shot people."  An officer asked why and he responded "I don't know."

Last week, one of Lane's lawyers told 19 Action News that a plea deal is in the works for the teen. "The parties are working on plea negotiations at this time," said Attorney Ian Friedman.

Copyright 2013 WOIO. All rights reserved.

  • Headlines from Lucas, Wood, Ottawa, Fulton & Monroe CountiesNewsMore>>

  • Former OSU football coach Earle Bruce dies at 87

    Former OSU football coach Earle Bruce dies at 87

    Friday, April 20 2018 8:31 AM EDT2018-04-20 12:31:56 GMT
    Earle Bruce (Source: Bleacher Report)Earle Bruce (Source: Bleacher Report)
    Earle Bruce (Source: Bleacher Report)Earle Bruce (Source: Bleacher Report)

    Former Ohio State Buckeyes coach Earle Bruce passed away Friday morning at the age of 87, according to ESPN.-

    More >>

    Former Ohio State Buckeyes coach Earle Bruce passed away Friday morning at the age of 87, according to ESPN.-

    More >>
  • Dave & Buster's reopens Friday after Lucas Co. Health Department confirms case of Hepatitis A

    Dave & Buster's reopens Friday after Lucas Co. Health Department confirms case of Hepatitis A

    Friday, April 20 2018 6:30 AM EDT2018-04-20 10:30:51 GMT
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)

    A confirmed case of Hepatitis A has been diagnosed to a food handler who works at at Dave and Buster's near the Franklin Park Mall. The Toledo-Lucas County Health Department warns that anyone who consumed any food or drink from the restaurant between March 1 through March 29 has been exposed to the virus and should get tested.  Dave and Busters has set up a phone line for people with questions or concerns at  is 844-344-94-44. Follow WTOL:   Download our app he...

    More >>

    A confirmed case of Hepatitis A has been diagnosed to a food handler who works at at Dave and Buster's near the Franklin Park Mall. The Toledo-Lucas County Health Department warns that anyone who consumed any food or drink from the restaurant between March 1 through March 29 has been exposed to the virus and should get tested.  Dave and Busters has set up a phone line for people with questions or concerns at  is 844-344-94-44. Follow WTOL:   Download our app he...

    More >>
  • Fire destroys north Toledo home

    Fire destroys north Toledo home

    Friday, April 20 2018 6:03 AM EDT2018-04-20 10:03:09 GMT
    (Source: WTOL)(Source: WTOL)

    The homeowner was at work at the time of the fire. 

    More >>

    The homeowner was at work at the time of the fire. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly